Railroad Forums 

• I don't know what to do, could you give me advice???

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#391527  by sugarhill1978

I got hired by bnsf in Kansas City, Ks my start date was going to be 4/23/2007 but they cancelled my class so they are trying to see if I am interested in other places they gave me 4 locations and I am leaning toward Oklahoma City, OK because it is the least distance away and it is a nice size city and I have a family member there, I really don't care where I go, I just don't want to get layed off, could you tell where the best place to go to not get layed off, I have the email that BNSF sent me at the end of this question I am asking, tell me what you guys think, they are primary recall locations and thats ok, I just want to know I'll be working because i'm bringing my family with me, I have been hearing scary stories on this web site about people getting out of training an then getting layed off. They said if I wait for the next class in KC it could be some time next year (2008) and I really don't want to wait that long, but I don't want leave then get layed off in a new city i'm not from. If I got layed off in kansas city, I could bear it, because it is my hometown, but I think I would feak out in a new city layed off and no money coming in with my familiy, please give your comments and advice. P.S. I know primary recall means I can't leave for 5 years, so does that mean I will be working at that location all five years and I won't get bumped out that location or does mean I could get bumped somewhere else far away and then have to cover the recall location when I am needed. I don't mind staying at one location for 5 years that is ok with me. Thank You for your advice I really need it. Here the email from BNSF:

Dear Cancelled TYE Candidate:

We may have Conductor Trainee Opportunities at the following locations coming up in May or June. Please understand that this is not an offer, rather a request to determine interest.

Are you interested in any of the following opportunities:
Beaumont, TX - Primary Recall Conductor Trainee
Galveston, TX - Primary Recall Conductor Trainee
Oklahoma City, OK - Primary Recall Conductor Trainee
Fort Worth, TX - Primary Recall Conductor Trainee

If you are interested in any, please reply to this email and indicate what location you are interested in. If you are interested in more than one of the locations, please rank them in order of your preference.

To reiterate, this is not an offer of a position at one of the listed locations, only an inquiry to determine if you are interested in that location.

#391560  by Xponder

If I were you I'd pick OKC. Since that is the closest to your home town. BNSF is struggling to justify new hires right now. Business is down but should be picking up again. And, if you don't respond you may be passed over. Get on somewhere at the first opportunity. If you don't have to sign a five year recall agreement then you can get back to Kansas City as soon as your seniority will hold. But even with a five year recall just getting on as soon as possible will ensure that your seniority will begin to build since BNSF conductor seniority is system wide. If your cut off you'll be released and can go anywhere system wide except the northwest district.

I'd rank everyone of your choices beginning with OKC and respond with all of them in order of preference so they can put you in at one of them. Just get on somewhere.

#393198  by route_rock

5 year recall doesnt mean you have to stay there 5 years. You can hold somewhere else go ahead and make the move. But as you get comfy where you are thats when that recall will hit.
Also they wont hold you for long. Just enough time to get classes through or whatever.
You get layed off you can qualify for RRB unemployment.But if its soon after your start date your best bet is to go elsewhere. Gillete and Alliance are usually dying for people.