Railroad Forums 

• BNSF 30/30/30

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#380949  by git a holt to it

anyone ready to lay down to show rosie that we don't like this 30/30/30?

#380959  by freshmeat

Okay, I'll bite, 30/30/30? I haven't been keeping up with negotiations so please fill me in.

Thanks

#381064  by Xponder

30/30/30

30 / Be on the engine, moving within 30 minutes of arrival time for work.

30 / No more than thirty minutes for meal break.

30 / Quit no earlier than thirty minutes before end of eight hour shift.

Practical response: no more than 4mph on any moves.

#381258  by jonesy

Management doesn't seem to understand that a crew with the incentive for an early quit can switch the same number of cars in 4 or 5 hrs, as a crew with that knows they are working at least 8 hrs no matter how many cars they switch.

#381555  by freshmeat

Oh no! They see work like the hole that is left whenyou pull your finger out of a glass of water, it just fills right back in. What idiots like Rosie don't understand is that by just following their rules to the letter, you know making sure all the slack runs out before announcing over the radio and waiting for a reply that you're going in behind to open a knuckle that the crew, while working like mad men, isn't getting any real work done. That is the problem with people like him and the college to trainmaster crew, they don't have a clue as to how the real railroad works.

I hope that everyone makes sure he gets what he is asking for.

#381587  by throttlebender

I agree with you guys, its just another form of abuse and/or harassment. Stop running for that nonexistant quit and work safe! But most people dont care, are scared or apathetic to rules compliance! CN wants us out the door 20 min after we goon duty! And we ahve that stupid 10 hour basic day so they feel cheated if we only work 8 or even 9 hours even in the yard!
Talk about a screwed up outift! Its a hellhole to work for let me tell you. You BNSF guys have it made compared to us! 8 hour basic day, 7&3 work rest extra boards compared to 6&1! 10&5 or 11&4 road pools compared to 6&2 pools or 6&1!

#381804  by GN 599

Where I work its 30+30+30= 90 min quit. They tried that here and we dinged em by gettin overtime. Now the trainmaster says "I dont care how early you get off as long as someone comes back and ties up at the proper time''. But part of the deal is he dont want no whinin if we do have to stay late once in a while, no problem. Once you get them paying overtime they are a little more receptive about the fact that some times there just isnt enough work for 8 hours so why stick around. They should realize that having us sit around is just liability.
Last edited by GN 599 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

#381852  by gp9rm4108

throttlebender wrote:I agree with you guys, its just another form of abuse and/or harassment. Stop running for that nonexistant quit and work safe! But most people dont care, are scared or apathetic to rules compliance! CN wants us out the door 20 min after we goon duty! And we ahve that stupid 10 hour basic day so they feel cheated if we only work 8 or even 9 hours even in the yard!
Talk about a screwed up outift! Its a hellhole to work for let me tell you. You BNSF guys have it made compared to us! 8 hour basic day, 7&3 work rest extra boards compared to 6&1! 10&5 or 11&4 road pools compared to 6&2 pools or 6&1!
Exactly why I am glad Hunter hasn't been able to get rid of our rest yet. 8 hour yard shifts and none of this basic day crap. If you are on the road you go off duty whenever you arrive at the other terminal. It's nice to be on duty for 4-12 hours, stay at your away from home for up to 14 and go home for another 4 -12 and then take 23 hours rest!

#382625  by throttlebender

Yeah your lucky. You must work in Canada I take it? Good luck with the strike and next round of negoiations up there! With Darth Vader at the helm sitting in his office figuring out ways to screw the workforce and attempt to bust the unions. Stick to the man every chance you get and work safe!
We all support you here in the U.S. in your cause. We should all walk. I have had enough of CN. You BNSF guys dont know how bad things can get on a Class 1 railroad until you work for CN! They should just call it "econorail!!" BNSF is a better outfit.

#383161  by freshmeat

Bender:

I'm really disappointed to hear about the sweatshop conditions at CN. I for one always admired Canadian labor for its hard nosed approach and thought that perhaps the working conditions were better than here in the states. I apparently and ignorantly based this on the condition and equipment of your -9 locomotives. You know, coffee pots, hot plates, microwaves, air ride seats, first rate first aid equipment and the like. I guess the joke is on me.

With the way BNSF is run like a skin flint operation, executive compensation excluded, I never thought it would be better than CN. Too bad.

#383277  by throttlebender

I think the working conditions in Canada are MUCh better in Canada are here in the U.S. Thats why they are going to strike again, Hunter wants to take it all away make work up to 12 hours instead of 10, have em run off more miles before having the rest of the month off on the road pools and not give em a damn 30-40 min lunch break instead of 20! Things are really bad on CN/WC from what I understand and hear.

Believe me, BNSF is better. We dont have any air ride seats on CN locomotives that I know of. CP does however. The hotplates and microwaves are a requirement on all CN locos because the guys gave up their road meal for it, so I have heard. CP locos have hotplates as well.
CN is not doing that stuff because they are nice and kind to their employees!
They do it because they have to contractually. Its a very bad company to work for now if you want my opinion. Lots of trains are underpowered, NEVER anymore than 1HP per ton, keep cutting regular job assignments and flood the extra boards and fired people for getting hurt, etc. EHH sucks. Go UTU Canada! At least they have the balls to vote for a strike and do it!

#383298  by gp9rm4108

Bender ... a couple things.

I do get a lot of trains that are more than 1hpt, so they are still out there quite a bit. There are of course the many trains that have just enough power to get over the road.

Hunter wants to GET RID of the milage cap which means that we WONT be able to go off on miles. About the 10 hours to 12 thing .. thats wrong also ... right now we DONT HAVE to work 10. He wants us to work 12 guaranteed. If we get to our away from home terminal in 4 hours ... we go off duty and wait til our turn comes back up before going home. If we are at the away from home for 14 hours ... they have to put us on duty OR taxi us.

We get paid while at the away from home terminal right now. He wants to get rid of that and the obligation to have us on our way home after 14 hours.

He wants us at work 16 hours a day with 8 hours break inbetween and 48 hours off total time in a 7 day period. Those 48 hours off duty will be wherever hunter says. So they don't have to be consecuative. So what that means ... your 8 hours off between shifts is your 48 hours.

Meaning ... you will never have time to do anything but sleep.

As per the air ride seats on CN ... BC Rail C40-8M's have them and they occasionaly lead outside BC Rail territory.