Railroad Forums 

• Newb question: when does "slow season" end?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#340733  by PSNOUS

I know that this is now considered the slow season but how long does it last and will job postings on BNSF's site start picking up after the new year?

#340790  by route_rock

Most of january we are slow yes but I suspect the postings will come up again soon. We have a class starting here on the 15th with more to follow. We have guys of course retireing and at least 25 this year going to the right side of the cab.
So have no fear my friend you can soon be a part of the mayhem that is BNSF!

#340796  by PSNOUS

route_rock wrote:Most of january we are slow yes but I suspect the postings will come up again soon. We have a class starting here on the 15th with more to follow. We have guys of course retireing and at least 25 this year going to the right side of the cab.
So have no fear my friend you can soon be a part of the mayhem that is BNSF!
Sweet. Thanks for the info

#341209  by git a holt to it

seen a letter from our local chairdude stating that the BNSF estimates they will furlough around 215 ty&e system wide in the first few months of 2007. there was a list of terminals but I can only remember 2 one was newton ks, and the other was chicago. kansas city might have been another but I'm not sure about that one.

#341361  by PSNOUS

Hmmm, very interesting. So those that are furloughed, will they just go somewhere else or will they just wait to get called back?

#341419  by freshmeat

One rumor is that BNSF is furloughing because UP has a hiring freeze in place. Go figure.

Here's a list the UTU put out of forecast furloughs. Although some of these terminals are not carrying extra people like newton. So to get the anticipated job cuts, it looks like they are going to have to eliminate jobs or get the union to use a different formula to calculate manning the boards.

The list:

Chicago (15)
Fort Madison (44)
Amarillo (29)
Kansas City (21)
Newton (11) [at levels called for]
Slaton (24)
Wellington (25) [board 9 heavy]
Clovis (27)
Ark City (12) [board 9 heavy]
Oklahoma City (7) [board 40 is usually short]

#341425  by PSNOUS

Yikes, thats pretty scary......... :(

#341495  by resauto

well it looks like were gonna be waiting for the call :( for a while ...nothings ever for sure on the RR

#341856  by route_rock

Chicago dumping 15???? Damn they cry they dont have enough all this time lol. I am stuck on a 30 day hold in Ft Mad ( even though I bid off the board twice with a standing bid back to Galesburg so explain now why your enforcing it while cutting boards back lol) But 44 would be good the bump board is full. Notice none getting cut in Galesburg. But who knows what may come.

#341857  by PSNOUS

Its crazy to me lol. All I can do is hope it picks up again here real soon.

#341925  by Engineer James

SLOW??? You guys nuts??? BNSF is bustiling here in the Detroit area, and there are almost daily sightings of newer BNSF power near and arund Delray, Plymouth, and Rougemere (All CSX yards....)

#341931  by PSNOUS

http://www.bnsf.com/careers/jobs.html

Job Description:

If interested in attending the Diversity Career Fair please submit your electronic application by clicking on the submit button above.

THIS POSTING WILL EXPIRE AT MIDNIGHT, JANUARY 23, 2007.

Qualified candidates will be invited to the career fair via email. Invitations will be sent to those candidates who submit an application and meet the basic qualifications for one or more of the following open positions, which will include details of the location, date & time of the Diversity Career Fair.

CONDUCTOR

Operates track switches and derails. Observes/ monitors track conditions. Applies and releases hand brakes. Observes condition of passing train and reports results to appropriate personnel. Gets on and off equipment while train is switching. Rides moving cars by hanging on grab irons or ladder. Prepares required reports. Observes, interprets and relays hand, lantern, and other signals. Must be able to travel within and/or outside the state lines and be available on call 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.

MECHANICAL LABORER

The mechanical laborer keeps work areas clean and orderly and is required to operate various industrial maintenance equipment. Empties and discards garbage. Sweeps floor, walkway, or switches using large tools. Candidates may be required to work evenings and/or nights including weekends/holidays.

DIESEL MECHANIC (MACHINIST)

The Machinist inspects locomotive components periodically in accordance with regulations, diagnoses malfunctions in diesel engines, air equipment, trucks, etc., and installs, disassembles, assembles, repairs, or replaces locomotive and diesel engine components (e.g., wheels or trucks, traction motors, springs, couplings, draft gear assembly, gear cases, cylinder assemblies), as required. Candidates may be required to work evening and/or night including weekends/holidays.

ELECTRICIAN

Electricians are responsible for testing, inspecting and properly repairing various systems on locomotives. Electricians troubleshoot, repair, install, inspect, calibrate and replace electrical high-voltage, mechanical and electro-magnetic equipment using a variety of tools and test equipment. Must have experience and/or Journeymen's card to qualify as an Electrician. Candidates may be required to work evenings and/or nights including weekends/holidays.

TRACK LABORER

The track laborer removes and replaces track components (e.g. rails, ties, bars, etc.) using various power and non-power hand tools. The maintenance of way track laborer will lift and carry track material, cut brush, trees, and vegetation, and clear the right-of-way of litter and other cargo spillage. Must be able to travel within and/or outside the state lines for multiple days at a time.

TRUCK DRIVER

Truck Drivers will also remove and replace ballast, operate large non-powered hand tools such as shovels, picks, axes, cutters, and sledgehammers, and operate proper electric, pneumatic, or hydraulic hand tools such as drills, impact wrenches, jacks, power saws, and grinders. Drivers will drive various types of trucks in excess 26000 pounds, and will sort material for use with on-track machinery. CDL License is required. Must be able to travel within and/or outside the state lines for multiple days at a time.

TRACK WELDER

Welding, grinding, and cutting of rail. Order materials, such as welding supplies, grinding stones, reports, safety equipment, etc., to ensure an adequate supply on hand. Maintain fuel supply in truck. Schedule regular service for welding truck; submit the necessary paperwork in connection with repairs to the truck or the welding equipment. Act as watchman when crew or equipment are fouling track. Must be able to travel within and/or outside the state lines for multiple days at a time.

Must be at least 18 years of age to apply.

We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.

#341963  by git a holt to it

route_rock wrote:Chicago dumping 15???? Damn they cry they dont have enough all this time lol. I am stuck on a 30 day hold in Ft Mad ( even though I bid off the board twice with a standing bid back to Galesburg so explain now why your enforcing it while cutting boards back lol) But 44 would be good the bump board is full. Notice none getting cut in Galesburg. But who knows what may come.
You want to leave FT. Mad. for galesburg? What, you don't like ridin Z's all the time? :-D

#342160  by route_rock

Oh hell no I love it but the problem is its guys on the NHSF roster that are holding all those slots and guys higher than me on the 6 board. So I am stuck on the SWXB lol.But yes riding Z,Q,S,and V's are freaking sweet! lol.However I live in Rock Island Illinois so the wife wants me to drive somewhere closer> But on 22 Jan that will happen ( even though I had a legit bump and according to the rules you cant be forced to go to a yard slot when on a bump but when admin stonewalls you and the griever agrees with them what do you do??)So here I sit all broken hearted waiting for the furlough to be startin lol seeings I would be in that 44! Then I just go to Galesburg :-D Or my engineer bid goes in and I get that but who knows

#342180  by git a holt to it

route_rock wrote:Oh hell no I love it but the problem is its guys on the NHSF roster that are holding all those slots and guys higher than me on the 6 board. So I am stuck on the SWXB lol.But yes riding Z,Q,S,and V's are freaking sweet! lol.However I live in Rock Island Illinois so the wife wants me to drive somewhere closer> But on 22 Jan that will happen ( even though I had a legit bump and according to the rules you cant be forced to go to a yard slot when on a bump but when admin stonewalls you and the griever agrees with them what do you do??)So here I sit all broken hearted waiting for the furlough to be startin lol seeings I would be in that 44! Then I just go to Galesburg :-D Or my engineer bid goes in and I get that but who knows
6 board? don't see that I see 36 and 40 I am looking at the station(ftmade)right?