Railroad Forums 

• Working for Shared Assets

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#295187  by joe741

Could someone tell me what it's like working as a trainman for shared assets in South Jersey? What is the pay like, overtime, hours, and anything else you might want to share. Thanks for any and all information. Take care!

#297396  by CSX Conductor

Joe, welcome to the site. Perhaps you may have better luck asking this in the Employment forum. :wink:

#297412  by keeper1616

good idea - wish I had thought of that - **poof** - so moved

#297744  by joe741

Thanks CSX conductor and keeper1616.

#299991  by Grump

Its not bad. Home every night(or day). Of course, who knows once CSX and NS do their inevitable final swallowing. Then it'll likely be the road unless there is some sort of "prior rights" crap drafted thats highly unlikely.

#300191  by zoomdude

working for SAA is great i think. Im home every night, make decent pay and usually get early quits. managment is really relaxed as well, there very good ppl to work for. anything else u wanna know im me

#300202  by UPRR engineer

From: http://www.answers.com/topic/conrail-sh ... operations

Conrail Shared Assets Operations (AAR reporting mark CSAO) is an American railroad company. It operates three networks - the North Jersey, South Jersey/Philadelphia, and Detroit Shared Assets Areas, where it serves as a local carrier and switching company for CSX Transportation and the Norfolk Southern Railway. When most of the former Conrail's track was split between these two railroads, the three shared assets areas were kept separate to avoid giving one railroad an advantage in those areas.

What is it? Shortline? Third party switching?

#300324  by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:From: http://www.answers.com/topic/conrail-sh ... operations

Conrail Shared Assets Operations (AAR reporting mark CSAO) is an American railroad company. It operates three networks - the North Jersey, South Jersey/Philadelphia, and Detroit Shared Assets Areas, where it serves as a local carrier and switching company for CSX Transportation and the Norfolk Southern Railway. When most of the former Conrail's track was split between these two railroads, the three shared assets areas were kept separate to avoid giving one railroad an advantage in those areas.

What is it? Shortline? Third party switching?
In the North Jersey area, Conrail had consolidated all of its class work to Oak Island yard. So basically it was the only sizeable yard for miles and with the split, both CSX and NS needed yarding capacity. So shared assets was created and operates the yards and some main line trackage in North Jersey, Philly and the Detroit area.

In a nutshell.