Railroad Forums 

• Working for CSX!!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#291394  by norsou82

I am interested in working for CSX. I live near charlottesville, VA. I have training with Norfolk Southern as a conductor. I was wanting to know about call times for the richmond area, and clifton forge and covington??? anyone with any info on working for csx I would greatly appreciate it.

dave

#291683  by Nelson Bay

I was phase II conductor trainee, after first day i quit, got scare i couldnt do the job, Although everyone told me I was doing good. Any chances on going back? If so, Hows the best way. NS pied ...

Quit after 1 day on the job with NS. Now you want a job with CSX........hmmmmmm
 #291823  by norsou82

i was worried about the calltime, i talked to my trainmaster about it and both agreed it wasnt gonna work. im a whole lot closer to CSX than Norfolk Southern. Problem is, I wasnt interested in paying for my own school out of clifton forge. hmmmm?? please, railroadings too easy!!!! I love the job, hated the hour and 45 minute ride to work, on a GOOD day. thank you for worthless response!!!

#292031  by chrisjz

norsou82 wrote:please, railroadings too easy!!!! I love the job, hated the hour and 45 minute ride to work, on a GOOD day. thank you for worthless response!!!
Railroading is too easy huh??? That is the kind of cocky attitude that can get you or someone else killed out here. Make sure you mention to CSX how EASY railroading is for you and I'm sure they will hire you immediately. As far as the response you got goes, I think it was far from worthless and more like dead on...

#292037  by conrail_engineer

CSX is a tough outfit. If you had problems at your last try, you can expect them x10 at CSX.

Call time is either 2 or 3 hours ahead, depending on the terminal and which prior agreement (C&O, B&O, Conrail, etc) that you're working under at the terminal.

Not living close enough is not considered a valid excuse. If you want the job they will expect you to move closer or make other accomidations, such as renting a room close by.

Your attitude suggests that you expect the employer to flex to your needs. From nine years on the railroad, I can tell you THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN. You will need to accomidate THEM or they will send you packing.

#292331  by njtransitrookie

You should have just stuck it out to begin with. Did you not discuss all this when you hired on ? To be honest with you in a blunt way is: You have more chance of waking up with your head sewn to the carpet than CSX calling you back. Why not try a differnt RR ?
 #292881  by CSX Engineer 98

norsou82 wrote:i was worried about the calltime, i talked to my trainmaster about it and both agreed it wasnt gonna work. im a whole lot closer to CSX than Norfolk Southern. Problem is, I wasnt interested in paying for my own school out of clifton forge. hmmmm?? please, railroadings too easy!!!! I love the job, hated the hour and 45 minute ride to work, on a GOOD day. thank you for worthless response!!!
Wake-up and smell the Coffee Mr Rail Nut, stick to a 9 to 5 job the railroad is definetly not for you. You should Listen to the trainmaster... :wink:

CSX Transportation definetly does not want you...CSX wants people that dont Sleep, Eat or think on there own and willing to Live in their car and not have a life. Dont even think of getting sick or wanting a day off..And the Money is not that great anymore anyway.

Have a nice day

#292948  by jz441

They are right.... On the railroad you don’t get a second chance. This was once in a lifetime opportunity.

Try to get on with some short line RR and stick with it for at least 5 years to build some solid reputation, and then maybe.... but only maybe some class I will consider you for a place where nobody wants to go.
 #292951  by melodic777

CSX Engineer 98 wrote:
norsou82 wrote:i was worried about the calltime, i talked to my trainmaster about it and both agreed it wasnt gonna work. im a whole lot closer to CSX than Norfolk Southern. Problem is, I wasnt interested in paying for my own school out of clifton forge. hmmmm?? please, railroadings too easy!!!! I love the job, hated the hour and 45 minute ride to work, on a GOOD day. thank you for worthless response!!!
Wake-up and smell the Coffee Mr Rail Nut, stick to a 9 to 5 job the railroad is definetly not for you. You should Listen to the trainmaster... :wink:

CSX Transportation definetly does not want you...CSX wants people that dont Sleep, Eat or think on there own and willing to Live in their car and not have a life. Dont even think of getting sick or wanting a day off..And the Money is not that great anymore anyway.

Have a nice day
I know plenty of people with a little time under their belts that have lives and they work for CSX so I would speak for yourself if that's your story. It certainly is not everyones story. I would think that if you work for CSX and have that kinda negative attitude about the place, one (such as myself) would wonder what keeps someone so miserable staying employed by the company who is their oppressor?
 #293037  by CSX-COAL HAULER

Please 777-

Come back and talk to the REAL RAILROADERS in a couple of years when you have a clue where the a and b end of a car is. These guys speak the
RAILROAD TRUTH----the young punks that claim to be your friends are probably the ones that are at my home terminal -----THAT NEVER WORK---AND ARE ON THEIR WAY OUT THE DOOR. Six months is my estimate for 777--------guys ! What do ya think. :-D :-D :-D

#293070  by braves2905

Six months then a promotion to terminal trainmaster...
 #293120  by CSXWife

Now don't get me wrong, I am glad DH got on with CSX but in the short 3.5 months he has been with them, well lets just say we have NO life.

The last 2 months DH has been home all of ONE day a week. He has attended ZERO family gatherings but you know what. We KNEW what we were getting into before we made that decision. We are banking on no social or family life for at least the next 2 years before he gets enough seniortiy and even untill he gets through engineer school. Even then we KNOW he will still work wierd hours but we are adapting.

CSX life is NO bed of roses but with HARD work and putting in the time needed we KNOW it will pay off in the long run. We're willing to make the sacrifice.

These guys aren't NEGATIVE they are however REALISTIC. Take it from a wife. Don't kid yourself, NO job is easy, especially not the railroad, if it were any old Tom, Dick or Harry would have one.

#293165  by blippo

Yea, you have a life. Your married to your telephone.
 #293231  by CSX Engineer 98

melodic777 wrote:
CSX Engineer 98 wrote:

Have a nice day
I know plenty of people with a little time under their belts that have lives and they work for CSX so I would speak for yourself if that's your story. It certainly is not everyones story. I would think that if you work for CSX and have that kinda negative attitude about the place, one (such as myself) would wonder what keeps someone so miserable staying employed by the company who is their oppressor?
You dont even want to go there...... In my 8 yrs of Employment with Conrail/CSX I have accumulated like 30 Yrs Seniority Thats why. I have watched many New hires come and go..... Also I have been on Medical leave for over a year Now with a cronic Illiness. Im able to work according to a CSX Doctor But the company hopes I just fade away...Or Die. Ive been there ! Done that ! spent my time working my way up the ladder of 1 Seanic RR and 2 Short lines Just to get to where I "was" or shall I say am.

Well I got there spent my time as a Brakeman, Conductor working the Spareboard and answering Many a imaginary phone ringing in the middle of night. Worked 178 days straight without being able to get a day off and Have Bid my way time and time again to jobs and even finally Engineer School. And was Promoted to Engineer thank God with in 4 Years...Only to see My dreams go down the Tube with Illiness. But according to My Union I am able to hold a Regular job according to our agreement for the rest of My Time till I retire. but everyones Back is turned on the Railroad except for a lawyer...... And you want to know why im Miserable???

I will never give up for what I have worked for even when it has Cause in my Divorce, Illiness and current State of mind my LIFE.

So when a New guy with 3.5 months complains about the Call Time, never Being home and a Basicly a LIFE....What did you think it was going to be like working at a Amusement Park...We are there and have been in the same situations many of times....Wake Up you Had the experiance now its time to move on be thankful you found out what it is really like and you still have your family and all your limbs to come home too.....You asked Buddy

Uhhmm Thanks for the Venting.... Feels real gooooood :wink:

Former Rail Nut

#293287  by CSX Conductor

I agree with CSX Engineer98 100%, and not only because he is a co-worker and friend, but he is speaking from truth about a horrible illness and being jerked around by the company. It's not right for someone to bitch about the job when they haven't even had a taste of what railroading can be like. I get a kick out of guys on the road that bitch about no cell signal on the mountain or not able to get their laptop to connect to the internet while stopped in certain areas at a Stop signal for a meet.........AAAwwww, poor baby. :( What would you have done 20 or 30 years ago when there were no laptops or Playstation Portables to play, while you're a mile away from the rest of your crew in a caboose.

CSX Wife, it is beneficial that you guys knew ahead of time what he was getting into, but one thing to remember, the strange hours and time away from home isn't just a CSXT thing, it's the railroad life in general. :wink: