Railroad Forums 

• RR workwear: Discussed here!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#540819  by chemin-de-fer

Because the ballast is uneven and shifty, the best boots are low with a wide soft sole. Docs, mentioned before, are a perfect example. UP used to have them on their boot sheet, not sure if they still do.

I don't like steel toes, especially in the cold.

Hiking boots can work well, but remember to make sure they have a notch in front of the heel ot conform to the rules, many do not. Hiking boots often have pretty hard soles, but it's possible to find "light-hikers" that have softer soles and are also ventilated for summer use. The upside to using hiking boots is that many hiking stores have experienced fitters, and not having blisters can help with your attitude and continued employment prospects.:-)

I agree about lineman boots being a bad idea, although I've worked in terminals where people wore them, the RedWing ones are more stable than the Carolinas I tried, but either one adds more height and therefore leverage against your ankle and knee joints when the ballast shifts underfoot.

In the end I like going as light and soft-soled and well-fitted as possible. If you need extra support, consider having some custom insoles made, or make your own like I do.

Re:

#543906  by usmcdevildog

mick wrote:Don't get "logger boots" with the big heel for working as a trainman or a conductor. They are NOT good for walking on ballast, they will eventually damage your knees and ankles. Logger boots are not for walking, they are made for pole-climbers, the high heel is to attach climbing irons more easily. Would you walk the ballast with cowboy boots made for attaching spurs on? Loggers are the same thing.
I am going to have to disagree. I am a conductor and I have logger boots. After trying many different boots, the loggers are my favorite. They provide the best ankle support for me. I got sick of twisting my ankles walking on the rocks. Logger boots are made for walking on rough terrain (ie: the woods or maybe some rocks). The high heel and high arch make riding on cars comfortable because the boot just grabs the ladder.
 #554564  by chemin-de-fer

usmcdevildog wrote: I am going to have to disagree. I am a conductor and I have logger boots. After trying many different boots, the loggers are my favorite. They provide the best ankle support for me. I got sick of twisting my ankles walking on the rocks. Logger boots are made for walking on rough terrain (ie: the woods or maybe some rocks). The high heel and high arch make riding on cars comfortable because the boot just grabs the ladder.
Also good for riding your Moto Guzzi. :-D
 #570868  by devionx

I have a great pair of steel-toe Redwings that I had to get when I worked for Verizon, climbing telephone poles all day, either in gaffs or standing on the ladder for hours on end. This pair of boots had a steel shank lengthwise along the sole to relieve the weight placed on the arches of the foot . Would this be something beneficial to look for in selecting boots for railroad duty?
 #572728  by mwjakel

HI all,
soon to be assistant signalman and would like to know what the best brand and style work boot I should invest in. whites? redwing? steel toe or not? any help or advise would be appreciated.
thank you!!!
 #573584  by castordream699

Well it all depends on who your working for, if you are working for bnsf you will have to get steel toe boots. I am a switchman for the railroad and bought some timberlands that have worked out great
 #583331  by yubtrpn

I'm getting ready to start training as a trackworker at CSX. They sent me an email letting me know what I had to bring and for boots it specifically says, "High top (6 inch or more) safety toe shoes with laces, oil resistant soles, and a defined heel." Since it didn't say specifically "steel toe", I found a pair of red wing boots that are made with some sort of composite material instead. It's called "tech toe" I believe. They are a lot lighter and my toes won't freeze off in the winter. They also have the same safety rating as the steel toe boots and they come in 6" and 8".

By the way, does anybody out there wear Grunden's raingear? I've worn it on some off shore fishing trips, I know that's what industrial fishermen wear and it's supposed to hold up real well. Just curious as to if it would transition well over to the railroad.
 #588373  by pwmm

not on the railroad yet, but in the past i've always bought timberland pro for boots, i like the 6" hiking boot with the steel toe. most comfortable footwear i've ever owned

the composite toes are actually a good innovation because steel toes are so rigid if something heavy enough fell on them they can cave in and crush your toes, trapping your foot in the boot. the composite toes will crack or shatter if enough force is applied

i broke my foot in timberlands once because i kicked a curb out of anger after a motorcycle accident and it pushed the steel toe into the top of my foot. i still wear them all the time though
 #592817  by rrnewb

Have a friend going through the REDI center and was thinking of getting him some good rain gear as all he has is some old military gear. Are there any specific brands that you all would recommend for a conductor? Thanks.
 #592907  by scooterz66

The rain gear I use, I had before the RR. It was a little pricey, but it keeps me dry. I got them at Cabela's (due in part that I live within a half hour of one of their stores) They're Gore-Tex A jacket with optional removable fleece, and a pair of bibs for pants. They keep me dry in the heaviest of rain without sweating my a** off like you do with those cheap PVC rain suits.
 #592912  by rrnewb

Exactly what I was concerned about I know he will be doing a lot of walking and was wondering about the Carhartt PVC models getting to hot. I will have to check out Cabela's Gortex models. Thanks
 #623643  by hidinginthemountains

Another good grip...last one you'll ever buy (check out the warranty and testimonials). This one has pockets sized for the rule books and equipment. Not cheap, but it falls under the "buy the best you can" category.

Red Oxx Railroader Grip

One note about the boots. Make sure the heel is "squared off" in the arch. The "rounded" ones (commonly found on "hiker style" workboots can slip through the stirrup more easily when it's iced up. Some railroads (at least mine) require this now.
 #649781  by slchub

Where do you live/work? There are so many variable to this question. Are you going to be subject to minus temps. with blowing snow or out in the desert southwest in 100+ temps or the southeast in 80 degree temps and 85% humidity and thunderstorms?

Are you going to be working mainline freight or yard/switching?
 #650224  by edbac333

Check out the sticky thread near the top of the "employment "forum for a long thread on this topic.