Railroad Forums 

• RR workwear: Discussed here!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#374392  by powerpro69

Yes, they provide them

#374438  by GOLDEN-ARM

We get a $250.00 boot allowance here, and a great place to buy them, with direct billing to the carrier.( must be steel toe, and at least 6" high, with well defined heel) Prescription safety glasses have no limit, with Oakleys being allowed, if you can get a place to cut prescription lenses for them, with a clear pair, and a sunglass pair allowed. These get direct billed, at their choice of shops, or simply submit a bill. Pretty sweet , considering the deal some guys get......... :wink:

#374457  by cifn2

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:We get a $250.00 boot allowance here, and a great place to buy them, with direct billing to the carrier.( must be steel toe, and at least 6" high, with well defined heel) Prescription safety glasses have no limit, with Oakleys being allowed, if you can get a place to cut prescription lenses for them, with a clear pair, and a sunglass pair allowed. These get direct billed, at their choice of shops, or simply submit a bill. Pretty sweet , considering the deal some guys get......... :wink:
must be a good company!

#374464  by GOLDEN-ARM

I got some sweet Redwings. Most guys here opt for Danners' Rainforest model, at $299.00 a pair. They pay the extra $49.00 out of pocket, for what they feel is the best boot. The Redwings are lower in cost (a savings to the carrier, which they might put into our profit sharing checks...... :P ) and they are lighter. Both allow you to stand in water, and remain dry-footed. The shoe store offers a one year, no questions asked return policy, on shoes that leak. With a new pair coming every January, it's a helluva bargain, to say the least. If the carrier mandates safety equipment (steel toed boots included) they are supposed to provide it. This place is doing just fine, by me. Regards :wink:

#378756  by cifn2

Now UP will give you a boot form, in new hire class, well we got them if we wanted, they get you a discount, and then they take the rest out of your check at a later time.

#398223  by MikeF

Anybody have some good gloves for working in the rain?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't stand wearing soggy leather gloves. I've got a pair of neoprene-coated knit gloves that keep my hands dry, but they're thin so they get cold when wet, and without the little bit of cushioning that leather gloves provide, my hands hurt after wrapping hand brakes with them all day. Surely somebody has a better solution?

#428978  by thebigc

I have orange rubber coatedones that have a layer of foam insulation underneath. The pros are that they keep your hands dry no matter what, they'll keep your hands warm to a certain extent, and they're unbeatable for snowball fights in the yard. The only real con is that even though they have a pebbled finish, they can be treacherous when grabbing wet handrails.

Speaking of workwear, I've been trying to find short sleeve button front hickory striped shirts but haven't had much luck. The ones I got in the eighties I kinda grew out of. Any sources?

#454718  by mick

www.sapko.com Also try Key workwear, look for "logger shirts" on both

#459097  by usmcdevildog

MikeF wrote:Anybody have some good gloves for working in the rain?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't stand wearing soggy leather gloves. I've got a pair of neoprene-coated knit gloves that keep my hands dry, but they're thin so they get cold when wet, and without the little bit of cushioning that leather gloves provide, my hands hurt after wrapping hand brakes with them all day. Surely somebody has a better solution?

SealSkinz Gloves are what I use. $30 a pair but they are lightweight and waterproof. Designed for fly-fishing and kayaking. Can be found at Cabelas.

#480312  by thefoyboy

Does BNSF require steel toes? I hear everyone say they provide a good pair of boots, but I have been considering buying another pair in advance to wear and break in.

#488406  by Erwin

MikeF wrote:Anybody have some good gloves for working in the rain... ...my hands hurt after wrapping hand brakes with them all day. Surely somebody has a better solution?
At CSX you better don't get caught using your hands, instead use a brakestick. (unless they are not aviable, however I have seen a trainmaster bring one to a inbound crew, and I have seen a trainmaster take a crew out of service becouse of this.)

But my solution to wet and slippery gloves is that I have abou 3 or 4 sets in my locker. Ones they get wet in a good downpour, they stay wet until the next day..or two.

Erwin

#492029  by GCOR 1.7

usmcdevildog wrote:
MikeF wrote:Anybody have some good gloves for working in the rain?

SealSkinz Gloves are what I use. $30 a pair but they are lightweight and waterproof. Designed for fly-fishing and kayaking. Can be found at Cabelas.
Also, Redhead deerskin shooting gloves. I get mine at BassPro. Yeah, they're $25 but they're awesome. Super comfy, made to have a secure grip, and I can't tear mine up. (I've tried.) You can get the version that doesn't say shooting on the package for $10 and they're just as good, they just aren't lined. They're also really handy for any female or other tiny handed railroaders you know cause they're really well fitted.

#501301  by mick

Don't get "logger boots" with the big heel for working as a trainman or a conductor. They are NOT good for walking on ballast, they will eventually damage your knees and ankles. Logger boots are not for walking, they are made for pole-climbers, the high heel is to attach climbing irons more easily. Would you walk the ballast with cowboy boots made for attaching spurs on? Loggers are the same thing. Get a good pair of low-heeled, Vibram sole boots for summer, and if you work in the cold, get softer-soled boots like Wolverine Big Horn or Mammoth. Vibram gets very hard in freezing temperatures and becomes slippery.
 #529863  by moldmakergal

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great info on work gear and suggestions on brands!
I need 6" steel toe boots with a regular heal.

Are hiking boots good to work in or am I better off sticking w/ regular work boots?