Railroad Forums 

• RR workwear: Discussed here!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#960113  by gp80mac

I've had Chippewas. They were great when new, but unfortunately they wore out really fast in yard service. Ballast just chewed them up.

Now if anyone knows of some decent gloves that will last longer than a few weeks - I'd love to hear it.
 #960991  by mick

I don't think there is a boot that does'nt get chewed up by ballast. Loggers have the thicker heel, but like I said before I think they cause knee problems. As for gloves, Carhartt makes some good ones but even those won't last more than a month or so with heavy use.
 #961206  by Freddy

mick wrote:I don't think there is a boot that does'nt get chewed up by ballast. Loggers have the thicker heel, but like I said before I think they cause knee problems. As for gloves, Carhartt makes some good ones but even those won't last more than a month or so with heavy use.
Their also bad about turning your ankle.I was out in the middle of nowhere one day trying to change a tire on the front of my hy-rail and turned my ankle. Felt like I broke it. that was
the last time I wore anything with a logger heel. About the gloves, I thought all the main roads provided gloves now like CSX. Same with safety shades and reflective vests.
 #961499  by gp80mac

mick wrote:I don't think there is a boot that does'nt get chewed up by ballast. Loggers have the thicker heel, but like I said before I think they cause knee problems. As for gloves, Carhartt makes some good ones but even those won't last more than a month or so with heavy use.
I have a pair of Redwing loggers... have held up a lot better than my last pair (Chippewas). Seems to work good for me. They area also taller boots, which really seems to help in regards to rolling your ankle.
 #961869  by jr145

I made the mistake of buying a pair of side zip boots my first time out. The damn zipper ripped off in the middle of a nice February day. Made for a real comfortable rest of the day.

I've had good luck with Carolina boots, especially the ones with thinsulate in the winter time. They're incredibly warm. The only downside is the fact that the sole doesn't come out. So you can't replace it with a Dr. Sholls gel insert. Which I highly recommend by the way. Especially the ones specifically designed for work boots. It makes a HUGE difference.

The removable insole, and a defined heel (Required where I work, and I imagine most other places) are two major things for me. Comfort, and being able to lock yourself in while riding a car, or climbing ladders are top priorities obviously. If you don't have a defined heel it is very easy to slip and either smash your knees on some unforgiving iron, or fall right on your tail.

Another thing that is overlooked sometimes is a good pair of work gloves. I wear these gloves: http://www.professionalequipment.com/ki ... er-gloves/

They are insulated so the wintertime your hands never get cold, and I even wear them in the summer. Your hands sweat only a tiny bit, but the added insulation keeps your hands comfortable when grabbing ladder rungs all day. Not to mention if you grab something sharp the leather is an added layer of defense.
 #964862  by x60pilot

Found a uniform store here that had them pretty reasonable. After 8 years in the Army I still have new boots in boxes. I have a couple of desert and cold weather boots from Belleville with Vibram soles. Problem is only the warm ones are waterproof. They were comfortable for the ammount I walked, not as much as some, but I wonder if any other former military guys have used their old boots. I would hate to spend 150 or so when I literally have 5 pairs of brand new boots.
 #965144  by jr145

Well most boots only have a service life of about 6 months to a year anyway. The ballast chews them up like nothing you've ever seen, and if you're in a cold climate, the ice and snow will chew up the leather on the front.

So eventually you're going to have to buy new ones anyway. But for the ones you have you can waterproof the ones that aren't waterproof already if that's what you're worried about. And as I said earlier if the insoles come out I highly recommend replacing them with a Dr. Sholls gel insert for work boots.
 #965185  by x60pilot

Sounds good. Did a boot inventory last night. I have 2 pair with goretex and 2 pair that are lighter weight all are water proof and have removeable inserts. I wore a pair for 13 months in Afghanistan and we had what was basically ballast where we had the aircraft walked on that everyday for 13 months and didn't wear through a pair. I am sure I will be walking more now but they should last a while anyway. I suppose I will try those and see if i need something else.
 #965460  by Freddy

Don't mean to sound stupid, but ya'll do know that your boots all need to be steel toe. Ain't no way around that. Heard a lot about boots but nobody mentioned having to have steel
toe's.
 #965461  by gp80mac

Sorry, but depending on railroad and craft you may NOT need steel toes.

Check your rulebook or ask appropriate supervisor.
 #965469  by Freddy

gp80mac wrote:Sorry, but depending on railroad and craft you may NOT need steel toes.

Check your rulebook or ask appropriate supervisor.
Sorry to burst your bubble but on Cls 1 roads if you're not in a constant office enviroment you WILL wear steel toes. It's in my rule book and it says ALL operating crafts. When our
dispatchers come out to ride the road(CSX) they have to buy and wear steel toes.