Railroad Forums 

• RR workwear: Discussed here!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#869119  by wwhitby

I'm not a rail, but I wear Roundhouse brand overalls. I hadn't worn overalls since I was little, however I rediscovered overalls a couple of years ago. Now, that's all I wear when i'm not at my day job in the fall and winter. They're much more comfortable than blue jeans, and don't dig in my waist (aka, way too large gut.)
 #902572  by rplky

Does CSX provide a worker the appropriate rain gear needed (hi-vis, class 3) or do we need to purchase ourselves. I seen a previous post on different thread that showed boots given out after safety cert. and on this page it showed hi-vis rain gear? My craft will be Trackworker, thanks in advance.
 #929241  by Gadfly

banks2 wrote:No they don't provide rain gear. They provide safety gear and boots...
Dave

Hmm, NS does. I still have my yellow slickers! :)
 #945983  by mick

I think by far the best jeans for RR work are the Carhartt B73, B136, B01, or B07 double-front logger jeans. Over a 27 year period I have tried all kinds of work pants/jeans and these are definitely the longest wearing and most comfortable. Yes,the bib overalls are good but have you ever tried to use the toilet on an engine wearing these? Or even outside?
 #946015  by pingzing

I'm wondering what to bring to Mcdonough Georgia for NS conductor training? I leave in 3 weeks. Boots and what else? should I avoid wearing shorts?
 #946038  by pingzing

ok so pants, probably 5.11 or carhartt, I like those two the best. and what type of boots? would I be ok with rocky sv2 sage green boots I had in the Air Force?
 #955728  by gp80mac

A month late with my reply, but anyhow:

if you're on the road, then boots won't matter as much. Sure you may walk the occasional train, but you won't be spending the entire day in the 6-foot. But if you are in yard service, then you probably want better boots. Consensus here is something with a Vibram-brand sole.

And the lined Carhartt pants are awesome in cooler weather.