Railroad Forums 

• Metro-North Locomotive Engineer Training Program

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#948387  by Penn Central

blueman wrote:How is it being an Engineer? Is it a stressful job?
There are factors that can make the job stressful. I had two students who resigned during the program while I was teaching it because of stress from close calls to hitting other employees and trespassers. Unfortunately, suicide by train still happens and if you run trains long enough, it can happen to you. I had three such incidents on the Harlem Line and only one survived. If I hadn't spent my last 16 years in the Training Department, that number might have been higher but I would never choose another profession. There is no job better than that of a locomotive engineer.
 #948503  by jz441

Penn Central wrote: Unfortunately, suicide by train still happens and if you run trains long enough, it can happen to you.
It will happen for sure! The question is: Can you deal with it?
 #953370  by enginedave

20 years plus running and I haven't had one. Oh I've had close calls but no hits. I know guys that get them left and right. All you can do I guess is be confident you were doing all you could (headlight on bright, ditch lights if applicable, horn, etc.) Everyone is different and will react differently...
 #953521  by Gadfly

enginedave wrote:20 years plus running and I haven't had one. Oh I've had close calls but no hits. I know guys that get them left and right. All you can do I guess is be confident you were doing all you could (headlight on bright, ditch lights if applicable, horn, etc.) Everyone is different and will react differently...

Not being in T & E, but an employee who had occasion to deadhead on engines, I can tell you it is horrible to hit somebody.
I've seen some hits and some really close calls. It especially hurts if there's kids involved. Those awful seconds when you are watching from the cab and you realize, "SHE'S NOT GONNA STOP!" And the horn is going TANT-TANT-TANT-TANT-TANT-TANT" while a Ford Pinto (with a baby seat) disappears under the nose of the engine! And what do you say to a big, burly engineer with his head down on the steps of the engine or leaning against the nose with huge tears? Yeah, I've seen 'em cry (me, too!) when it just got to 'em...just too much. Corny maybe, but why, why can't people stop, look, and listen---just for 2 seconds?

A funny aside.............. Once I was working at our shops. The Liddell St crossing was often blocked by trains from Charlotte Yard. There was a VERY pregnant lady, stomach bulging, whom we noticed was CRAWLING under the train towards us. Thinking to protect her, we rushed out to explain not to do that, how dangerous it was, calling the head end to not move on the radio. I NEVER heard such a filthy-mouthed cussing in all my life. She cussed us up one side and down the other. WHEW! She had no clue that all that train had to do was lurch forward and she and her baby------SQUISH! These are the mothers of today? :( Sorta funny when you look back, sad at the potential results!

GF