Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Assistant Conductor/Engineer Trainee position

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1485172  by CoolRknDaddy

I just completed my "online assessment" for this position and was trying to get a little info on what the hiring process is like with SEPTA, some duties while first being hired, shift info, etc. I saw some other divisions on here for the same position, i.e NJT, Amtrak, etc but I guess every agency is different in their approach. It's great that forums like this exist to take some of the mystery out of the overall process. Any current, prior SEPTA conductors on here that could offer any insight? Good luck to anyone trying to find a job in RR!
 #1485249  by Acela150

I have worked for Septa.. I'm glad I don't work there any more..

It was normal for me to start a day between 430 and 630am and end my day anywhere from 500-800pm. The money was great. The life work balance non existent. I'd wake up, goto work, sleep at work on my break, take a train or two and go home, shower goto bed, and wake up and goto work. Way to easy to get fired. Mess with the money and your gone and never coming back if your on probation. Probation is an insane 6 months which includes class room time.

They have ZERO safety culture. Conductors on their cell phones which is a violation of FRA Emergency Order 28 I believe if not 28 then 29. I was taken out of service by an extremely over zealous High Level supervisor for not collecting fares on the platform of Airport Terminal A during a day of heavy protests due to President Trump's proposed temporary travel ban. The supervisor demanded that I collect fares on the platform which is a violation of Septa rules. Septa rules state a train can NOT be held for revenue collection. 2 days out of service and the UTU didn't get me backpay. The UTU reps are good except for the general chairmen who didn't even try to get me my back pay and refused to listen to ideas to prevent such an incident from happening in the future.

Septa also keeps getting waivers from the FRA to keep traps open on trains during Rush Hour. Even though they have the appropriate man power now to man each and every trap on each and every train during the rush hour. People have jumped off moving trains and have been seriously hurt. Personally I don't understand why the FRA keeps giving them waivers.. My guess is Septa is somehow cooking their books.

I was undergoing treatment for Sleep Apnea, and my Doctor said that I should not be working a safety sensitive position. I went to management with a note from my Doctor saying that I needed to be taken out of service for medical purposes until cleared by said Doctor. I was told by the top manager quote "That's not my problem, I don't care.. Come to work tomorrow or your fired." I later found out that they started testing workers for Sleep Apnea.

Septa also called me several times to work when I wasn't rested within the Hours of Service law.. To the point where I reported them to the FRA anonymously.

Management only cares about the super senior guys when the new Run Guides come out for a new pick. They'll stick it to everybody who doesn't have 25 or more years of service.

My suggestion is if you really want to work for the railroad take the job just to get your foot in the door on a railroad.. And goto Amtrak or Metro North ASAP. Septa is not a good place to work. Guys literary count down the days until they can retire. And a few guys have died days or months after they retire from Septa. One guy didn't even collect his first RRB check and he died.
 #1485298  by CoolRknDaddy

Acela150 wrote:I have worked for Septa.. I'm glad I don't work there any more..

It was normal for me to start a day between 430 and 630am and end my day anywhere from 500-800pm. The money was great. The life work balance non existent. I'd wake up, goto work, sleep at work on my break, take a train or two and go home, shower goto bed, and wake up and goto work. Way to easy to get fired. Mess with the money and your gone and never coming back if your on probation. Probation is an insane 6 months which includes class room time.

They have ZERO safety culture. Conductors on their cell phones which is a violation of FRA Emergency Order 28 I believe if not 28 then 29. I was taken out of service by an extremely over zealous High Level supervisor for not collecting fares on the platform of Airport Terminal A during a day of heavy protests due to President Trump's proposed temporary travel ban. The supervisor demanded that I collect fares on the platform which is a violation of Septa rules. Septa rules state a train can NOT be held for revenue collection. 2 days out of service and the UTU didn't get me backpay. The UTU reps are good except for the general chairmen who didn't even try to get me my back pay and refused to listen to ideas to prevent such an incident from happening in the future.

Septa also keeps getting waivers from the FRA to keep traps open on trains during Rush Hour. Even though they have the appropriate man power now to man each and every trap on each and every train during the rush hour. People have jumped off moving trains and have been seriously hurt. Personally I don't understand why the FRA keeps giving them waivers.. My guess is Septa is somehow cooking their books.

I was undergoing treatment for Sleep Apnea, and my Doctor said that I should not be working a safety sensitive position. I went to management with a note from my Doctor saying that I needed to be taken out of service for medical purposes until cleared by said Doctor. I was told by the top manager quote "That's not my problem, I don't care.. Come to work tomorrow or your fired." I later found out that they started testing workers for Sleep Apnea.

Septa also called me several times to work when I wasn't rested within the Hours of Service law.. To the point where I reported them to the FRA anonymously.

Management only cares about the super senior guys when the new Run Guides come out for a new pick. They'll stick it to everybody who doesn't have 25 or more years of service.

My suggestion is if you really want to work for the railroad take the job just to get your foot in the door on a railroad.. And goto Amtrak or Metro North ASAP. Septa is not a good place to work. Guys literary count down the days until they can retire. And a few guys have died days or months after they retire from Septa. One guy didn't even collect his first RRB check and he died.
Thanks for the insight! Something to really think about. Just a couple questions, what are the traps? Is that for the steps for the train? Also, are there alot of split-shifts as well? How are the tests and the interview process? Thanks again!

CoolRknDaddy 2 Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:30 pm
 #1485618  by Acela150

CoolRknDaddy wrote:
Acela150 wrote:Traps are the steps. Monday through Friday expect a split shift with your layover in the city. Weekends are straight shifts.
Wow, so I'm guessing 4 hour layover in the city? Guess I better get a library card, lol.
4 hours or more. A lot of guys will take a nap in the quiet room. I had an iPad to watch movies on as well as a book to read. Some guys would also walk to get lunch in the city.