Railroad Forums 

• Work District

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1459845  by 1NSdriver

This is my first time posting on here so please forgive me if this is not the right page to post this on. So I have a job interview for locomotive conductor in Kingsport TN and am curious to how far and where I will operate trains to. I would suspect one of my destinations would be Andover.

I am also curious to what type of freight is hauled over this route. I know that everything West of Frisco Yard is coal only. But will I be operating any other type of main line freights?

And for my last question, how often do employees get called to work?
Any comments are appreciated. Thanks 😁
 #1485851  by Engineer Spike

I would try to see if you know anybody who works there. Ask one of them. My original job was with BN, and I worked in Aurora, Illinois. At the time I was visiting friends who lived about 70 miles from Chicago. The local state unemployment office did the preliminary hiring pools, and BN, C&NW... would come down and ask for X applicants. When BN called me to come for the hiring session and interview, I was selected. To find out where a convenient place to live, and to easily make the calls, I decided to ride a passenger job. This gave me the opportunity to ask one of the trainmen the questions.

Although without passenger trains, it might be hard, there are ways. If you see some track guys in their railroad truck somewhere, like some diner or convenience store, ask them. They don't work in the same department, but there is a good chance that they know what's going on.