Railroad Forums 

• New Conductor Salary Expectation

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1408579  by Tony82290

Hello all,
I've recently been offered a position as a Conductor for NS in Roanoke VA and am scheduled to start training soon. I understand the schedule will be erratic and pay can vary quite a bit from one month to the next. I'm just looking for an idea of what to expect in an average month after mark up, and maybe what to expect in my first year. Thanks for any advice!
 #1409026  by COEN77

That a difficult question to answer seeing there are to many variables. The difference between working the road and yard. Working the extra board compared to a regular job. Business is always a key factor determining wages. Location is also a key factor. Starting out first year if someone works year round I'd estimate between $45,000-$60,000+ all depending on business. The advice for new hires is don't make any big purchases like a new house, expensive truck/car payments etc... for 3-5 years. Get some seniority learn how the railroad works with jobs etc... Furloughs are real on the railroad till getting seniority.