Railroad Forums 

• Question about hiring....

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1376111  by 8th Notch

MGonzo123 wrote:COEN, I could see not being hired as an engineer, but do you think getting in as a coach cleaner or another entry level position is feasible?
All you can do is try, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Being terminated is one thing, being terminated for a failed drug & alcohol is a double whammy. A lot of people want to work in this industry and I'm sure they can easily find another candidate that doesn't have the black cloud over there head as you do ( I hate to sound like an a**) Age doesn't mean anything, I was 18 when I joined the railroad 9 years ago and I sure as heck knew that drugs and alcohol were one of the quickest tickets out the door. Not to say that your head isn't on straight now, however what you did in the past may be one of those consequences that you have to live with, best of luck my friend. Be honest and keep trying.
 #1376158  by COEN77

MGonzo123 wrote:COEN, I could see not being hired as an engineer, but do you think getting in as a coach cleaner or another entry level position is feasible?
Did you ever consider a shortline? They seem to be less judgmental when hiring especially when an applicant has previous railroad experience. I'm not familiar with other crafts or even commuter lines my career was on a freight railroad. Everyone can make a mistake. Apparently you worked for a railroad that had a no tolerance policy. Railroads like CSX under Operation Redblock gives an employee a one shot deal with a Rule G bypass. I advised several people as a BLE union officer when they had to make a decision submit to CSX EAP policies or lose their job. The issue there is no reasonable defense & appeals on a Rule G violation. It's rare I have seen some get their job back within two years when terminated after they had decided to fight it. They ignored my advise to take the bypass and submit to the EAP to save the job.
 #1376167  by MGonzo123

I haven't tried a short line yet, just NJ Transit, and that was for the locomotive engineers job. I'm gonna look into coach or bus cleaner at NJ Transit, and research some short lines in the area. Thanks.