Railroad Forums 

• Question about hiring....

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1373956  by MGonzo123

I was terminated from another railroad for failing a breathalyzer during a return to duty medical appointment. I have an interview with NJ Transit for a locomotive engineer position coming up and was wondering how this will impact my chances of getting hired. I was never drinking on the job or anything like that, and I'm not sure if the exact circumstances of my termination will be available to them. Any feedback would be appreciated.
 #1373980  by Jim1348

In all honesty, as important as safety is to the industry and considering how competitive jobs are, I would imagine that they would pass you over for someone else.
 #1373988  by CentralValleyRail

You'll probably be hired. It's NJTRANSIT after all where normal does not exist...

In all serious be honest about it, better that then for the agency to find out later and terminate you.
 #1374047  by DutchRailnut

he is correct, if you lie or omit stuff during hiring and they do find out, your done, even after probation.
 #1374431  by trkspd

I'm going to be a dick and rub salt in the wound, but why in the ever loving fuck did you think it would be a good idea to show up to a return to work medical appointment with alcohol in your system?

Seriously....you had time off.. so you obviously had time to practice drinking shots and getting wasted BEFORE your return to work visit.

Good luck, they probably won't hire you for anything outside of management.
 #1374439  by CentralValleyRail

DutchRailnut wrote:he is correct, if you lie or omit stuff during hiring and they do find out, your done, even after probation.
We agree on something? Wow I am pleasantly surprised.
 #1375546  by NYSW2300

trkspd wrote:I'm going to be a dick and rub salt in the wound, but why in the ever loving * did you think it would be a good idea to show up to a return to work medical appointment with alcohol in your system?

Seriously....you had time off.. so you obviously had time to practice drinking shots and getting wasted BEFORE your return to work visit.

Good luck, they probably won't hire you for anything outside of management.
More salt, he probably scheduled it himself.
 #1375753  by MGonzo123

I didn't schedule it myself, it was just a very dumb thing I did when I was younger. It has been 5 years and I'm trying to get back on the railroad. I was also wondering if this will hinder my getting an entry level position just cleaning trains or something like that. I am more than willing to work my way up from the bottom. I can't see this being held against me for a position like that, especially because it was a long time ago, and I had never had any problems except that.
 #1376024  by COEN77

I have to weight in. Who the heck fails a breathalyzer on a return to work physical? I had a few during my career. They were scheduled not spur of the moment. Anyone whose been on the railroad for any amount of time knows a drug & alcohol test is a requirement. Being young isn't an excuse. I don't know if any railroad would touch you especially a commuter line. I won't say it can't happen but it's a long shot.
 #1376054  by MGonzo123

COEN, I could see not being hired as an engineer, but do you think getting in as a coach cleaner or another entry level position is feasible?
 #1376080  by Acela150

No. Rule G violation means you're up the creek with no paddle. But I agree with COEN77, how did you fail a breathalyzer knowing it was part of the deal?
 #1376089  by MGonzo123

They called me late the day before. Originally it was scheduled for friday, but they called me and said come in 8 a.m. the next day (wednesday). This was a smaller railroad, nothing like CSX or UP. I don't think I'm completely up the creek with no paddle. There has to be some chance of getting hired somewhere. No one has ever heard of someone getting another railroad job after being let go for something like this? With all the things people do to get fired, there have to be instances. Someone suggested getting hired at NJ Transit doing something with the buses, then moving over.
 #1376096  by MGonzo123

I found this case after a little digging:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operat ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is an incident involving an LIRR engineer who was terminated for violation of Rule G, then rehired years later. Prior to being terminated for the aforementioned Rule G violation, he had several other problems. After he was rehired he was involved in a major derailment in 2004. If this guy got a second chance, there has to be some hope.