Railroad Forums 

• Interview treatment

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1351135  by jkell1234

Admin if this belongs in employment please move it there.

I just attended a hiring session for NS for the conductor position. Took test and made it to the interview there was 9 of us total that made it out of 15 that showed 1 that showed late and countless others who didn't care to show up at all.

Anyway when it came time for me to interview I was treated pretty badly by the higher up supervisor conducting the interview. The HR lady was nice but this guy was a jerk. Can I ask why he was that way when all i did was answer yes sir no sir to the questions and was probably the most professional one there? Out of 15 people i was the only one that listened to the dress instructions everyone seemed to miss that line and proceeded to wear jeans tshirts and ball caps.

Well all is said and done I found out via the website i wasn't selected even though they said they would follow up regardless in 3-5 business days. Honestly if I was treated like that during an interview then i can only imagine how he treats his people on the rails. Sorry I had to vent this because this has been by far the most unprofessional interview i have been too and want to know if anyone else had a similar experience.
 #1351298  by Engineer Spike

Sometimes they do it to see how you react. With the high stress of the job, they might want to see if you remain calm. Can you still think clearly under stress.

They might want to see if a boss is giving you a hard time, or trying to make you do something you don't want to, are you going to tell him to **** off. That will get you disqualified. Following orders is part of the drill.

Without being present, there is no way to say what was the point for which they didn't hire you. Since you were asked to interview, I'd say that you were fairly high up the list.