Railroad Forums 

• Selected as an alternate

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1220673  by Justin4180

I recently interviewed for a Conductor trainee position in Springfield, MO on Friday, October 4, 2013. I felt very confident with my interview and application process. They were hiring for 15 positions and there were roughly 40 people there for the event. I was the only one there that had been to the NARS program in Overland Park. 80% of the guys there were dressed in t-shirts, jeans, and work boots/tennis shoes. There were only five of us who dressed nicely in a shirt and tie, those few of us were also the only ones prepared with a folder with our credentials in it. My question is, what is an alternate, what should I expect, and if I get offered another interview I. The future, should I dress down like the majority? I'm just confused because there is no doubt in my mind my qualifications and interview met the jobs needs. Could there be a slowdown since the government is shutdown at the time and they are pushing back the start date? Any answers would be appreciated from anyone who has any insight or any experience with being selected as an alternate.

Thanks,
Justin
 #1223315  by Justin4180

I really hope I get that call soon then. It makes me feel better that others have been selected as an alternate, but were then given a conditional offer of employment. I will just have to keep saying my prayers and hope for the best.
 #1234178  by PSNOUS

I interviewed Nov 7th for Kansas City, KS and was just emailed two days ago that I was selected as an alternate. Hope to hear something soon 8-)
 #1244610  by PSNOUS

I got a conditional offer yesterday(Mon 20th), did my medical survey, and was called today to schedule my strength test on Jan 28th Pretty excited :-D
 #1248501  by PSNOUS

How long after you pass the medical stuff do you get the final offer usually?
 #1249338  by ljpierce1965

Final offer is supposed to be sent 2 - 3 weeks prior to projected start date.

I'm expecting mine at the end of this month or 1st week of March for the March 17th start date in Minot, ND.

I have also read that sometimes they will wait until the last possible moment to send them out as a sort of test to see if you really want the position, and are willing and able to drop everything to come to work. How common that might be I do not know.
 #1255730  by PSNOUS

I got my final offer email Wednesday night. Start date March 24. Very excited