Railroad Forums 

• BNSF TRAIN DISPATCHER

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#108601  by Phase Gap

I am looking for someone that works at BNSF as a train dispatcher that will be willing to talk to me about working there.I am looking for info about the company and in general. Thanks
 #108615  by Fatal

Phase Gap wrote:I am looking for someone that works at BNSF as a train dispatcher that will be willing to talk to me about working there.I am looking for info about the company and in general. Thanks

What is on your mind?

#108616  by Phase Gap

Well is it a nice company to work for?
Are they really hard on you if you do somthing wrong?
Are the bosses able to talk to you without yelling at you to get there point across.
How is the union in the office?
Just some general info about the whole place?
Thanks For your help and feel free the e-mail to thanks

#108619  by Fatal

Phase Gap wrote:Well is it a nice company to work for?
I think it's a great company to work for, and I enjoy dispatching. However, a lot of fellow dispatchers don't like the place and think the company is out to get them.

Phase Gap wrote:Are they really hard on you if you do somthing wrong?
Cannot answer that from personal experience, however, it all depends on the violation. For new employees, they tend to ignore the minor rules violations because they understand that they are new and are not going to do everything perfectly until they get experience under their belt.

Phase Gap wrote:Are the bosses able to talk to you without yelling at you to get there point across.
Most Chief Dispatchers will not yell at you, they work with you to help you with any problems. However, there are a few Chiefs I have heard that are not very nice. So pretty much like any job, there are good managers and bad managers.

Phase Gap wrote:How is the union in the office?
They are always present and will defend you if you do something wrong and are investigated for the violation.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

#108680  by TerryC

This is not my opinion. I heard this from someone who knows a Burlington Northern Santa Fe employee.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe is thinking of taking blood samples from some of its employees. This way if you develop back trouble the railroad can fire you before it happens. Then this person mentioned something about DNA. Is this true or a load of junk? I hope this is a load of junk.

This is not my opinion. I heard this from someone who knows a Burlington Northern Santa Fe employee.

keep asking keep learning
Last edited by TerryC on Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#108715  by Avro Arrow

TerryC wrote:This is not my opinion. I heard this from someone who knows a Burlington Northern Santa Fe employee.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe is thinking of taking blood samples from some of its employees. This way if you develop back trouble the railroad can fire you before it happens. Is this true or a load of junk? I hope this is a load of junk.

keep asking keep learning
junk

Honestly how can you determine the status of your back from a blood sample?

#108803  by Phase Gap

Fatal Thanks for the info....What office do you work out of?
Can the company decide to just move you to the other office if they need you there?
How long is the training?
Do you know if i can carry over my vaction time from 1 rr to another?
I am a train dispatcher already.
How much railroad do you control at one desk?
What is the average number trains is under your control at 1 time?
Do you run passenger trains and about how many on 1 desk?
Thanks again for your help.

#108846  by Fatal

Phase Gap wrote:Fatal Thanks for the info....What office do you work out of?
The one in Fort Worth.

Phase Gap wrote:Can the company decide to just move you to the other office if they need you there?
No, they might ask you to move and offer you a relocation package, but you don't have to accept it if you dont want.
Phase Gap wrote:How long is the training?
Not sure for people with experience, off the street was about 14 weeks.

Phase Gap wrote:Do you know if i can carry over my vaction time from 1 rr to another?
Not sure about that.

Phase Gap wrote:How much railroad do you control at one desk?
All depends on which desk I am working, anywhere from 135 to 400 miles. Some desks are more than that.

Phase Gap wrote:What is the average number trains is under your control at 1 time?
Again, varies on the desk, I've had 0 for a few hours and I know some who have over 50.

Phase Gap wrote:Do you run passenger trains and about how many on 1 desk?
Depends on the desk, of the one's I am qualified on, I only see Amtrak twice.
Phase Gap wrote:Thanks again for your help.
No problem, thinking about coming over to the BNSF? I've heard we're pretty short on Dispatchers here.

#108847  by AmtrakFan

They also have offices in Chicago, San Berdino and Kansas City.

#109027  by Phase Gap

Fatal Yes I am looking into it. i here they are going to post somthing on the internet in a few weeks> Thanks for all the info

#109549  by Phase Gap

Fatal I sorry I am asking so many question but just like to know what i am getting into if i go to work for them>>

1.how does that extra list work.
2.what kind of call do you get to come to work?
3.what kind of training do you have to go throught?
4. is there any overtime in the office and about how much and who get 's first crack at it first?
5.how many desk do you have to know how to run?
6.do they give you time to ride trains to know the railroad?
And here is a off the railroad question
what is a good area to move to about 30 to 45 mins away for the building?
Fatal thanks again for all th info

#113904  by Fatal

Phase Gap wrote:Fatal I sorry I am asking so many question but just like to know what i am getting into if i go to work for them
Not a problem!

Phase Gap wrote:1.how does that extra list work.
You will be on the extra board until you get sixty solo days in. You'll start off training until you can qualify on a job. Then you'll continue training and they will let you work a job when someone lays off. Once you get the 60, you're still on extra board unless you bid on a job and win it. If someone bumps you off the job, you get 6 days off (unpaid) to decide if you want to bump someone below you or be on the extra board again.
Phase Gap wrote:2.what kind of call do you get to come to work?
Usually, you get a schedule that lets you kind of know when you will be working/training. Expect to get called into work on your rest days unless you have your 40 hours in for the week. If you have your 40, you do not have to go in if they call you.
Phase Gap wrote:3.what kind of training do you have to go through?
You sit in with dispatchers and try to learn the territory from them. You sit with them until you feel you will be able to work the job alone.

Phase Gap wrote:4. is there any overtime in the office and about how much and who get 's first crack at it first?
There is overtime, I have not been working there long and have had a few opportunites to work overtime (and I have)! Top of the seniority list gets first crack at OT.

Phase Gap wrote:5.how many desk do you have to know how to run?
Since you'll be on the extra board, you'll learn a few. Once you get qualified on a desk, technically that's the only one you'll have to learn, but if they have no where to put you, you'll train on new jobs and learn them too.

Phase Gap wrote:6.do they give you time to ride trains to know the railroad?
Coming fresh off the street, they gave us 3 weeks to ride to observe. It was at our expense, though they give us a little stipend.
Phase Gap wrote:And here is a off the railroad question
what is a good area to move to about 30 to 45 mins away for the building?
I'd recommend living a little closer, there are some nice neighborhoods within 2 - 10 minutes from headquarters. You don't want a long drive home in Texas because traffic always sucks :P And be sure to check your Private Messages on here.
Last edited by Fatal on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

#114500  by Railjumper

I am looking for someone that works at BNSF as a train dispatcher that will be willing to talk to me about working there.I am looking for info about the company and in general. Thanks
I'm sorry, as a BNSF employee I'm not allowed to discuss the company operations, as you may be a terrorist...no joking there is video out about this! Also you don't want to work for BNSF, they WILL NOT PAY YOU what you are guaranteed in labor agreements so look else where for a honest employer! Their payroll department are SCUMBAGS!

#114512  by Avro Arrow

Railjumper wrote:
I'm sorry, as a BNSF employee I'm not allowed to discuss the company operations, as you may be a terrorist...no joking there is video out about this! Also you don't want to work for BNSF, they WILL NOT PAY YOU what you are guaranteed in labor agreements so look else where for a honest employer! Their payroll department are SCUMBAGS!
Are you done crying now? EVERY railroad declines claims, welcome to life. There are processes in place once your claim is declined to still get it paid. That said, BNSF is one of the better companies to work for. Management seems to have its act together as far as long range planning goes and we're moving the most freight we ever have these days. They pay isn't bad either.

In conclusion, don't listen to guys like this. Doom and gloom railroading at its best. You will have tickets declined, but there's still a good chance it'll get paid.
 #114528  by RRspatch

Phase Gap wrote:I am looking for someone that works at BNSF as a train dispatcher that will be willing to talk to me about working there.I am looking for info about the company and in general. Thanks
"Phase Gap" ... interesting name as it pertains to the ex PRR electrification. Do you work for Amtrak in the Philadelphia CETC office ... or perhaps the New York or Boston CETC offices?

We have had quite a few Amtrak people come down here in the last few years. I should know, I came down here in 1996 from Philadelphia.

As for your question, yes, it is a good company to work for. The pay is good and they tend to treat you well. Freight dispatching is a lot different from dispatching the corridor (if I'm correct in assuming your currently working on the 8th floor at 30th street station). The learning curve can be quite steep, but so far no one who's come down here has washed out or given it up.

RRspatch