Railroad Forums 

• Iowa Interstate: Hawkeye Express (Football Special)

• For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
 #1546171  by Jeff Smith

Not running this year: https://www.kcrg.com/2020/06/22/univers ... ket-sales/
UI Athletics also announced the Hawkeye Express will not operate for the 2020 season because of the potential for reduced capacity at the stadium. The Hawkeye Express, which is operated by Iowa Interstate Railroad and owned by Iowa Northern Railway, shuttles fans from a parking lot in Coralville to Kinnick Stadium.

“We have a wonderful relationship with the Iowa Northern Railway, Iowa Interstate Railroad and the City of Coralville,” said Barta. “With so many uncertainties heading into the season and the potential for reduced capacity and ridership, we determined the sensible decision was to suspend operations for this season.”
 #1568154  by Jeff Smith

It's over, Johnny: https://www.idahopress.com/sports/natio ... a283a.html
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — The train that has carried thousands of Iowa football fans from Coralville to Kinnick Stadium on games days will cease operations, the athletic department announced Wednesday.

The Iowa Northern Railway's Hawkeye Express has made the 10-minute trip on game days since 2004. The athletic department and railroad said now is the time to end the train rides because of the likelihood of continued social distancing this season season and the need for equipment upgrades and increases in operating expenses.

An average of 3,700 fans boarded the train in Coralville on game days in 2019. Fans weren't allowed to attend games in 2020 because of the pandemic.
 #1568161  by Pensyfan19

And I made a documentary about this locomotive about a few months ago... It was one of my favorite locomotives covered in my series too. :(

Very sad to hear this news. Hopefully Iowa Interstate will still use their stock on other excursion runs in the future.
 #1583797  by Pensyfan19

I have been informed that the Iowa Northern has ended all of their passenger excursion services and will be selling their passenger cars to an unknown company/railroad. Engine 678 is meanwhile in storage with a very uncertain future, but the railroad has more use of the modified F40s instead of an original F40 like 678. Can anyone confirm any of these details?