Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1499243  by Plate C

Think I just saw the last comment now. Unfortunately for HDI it was their own guy responsible, believe he was eventually caught, so don't know that theft was the only reason. Before I leave that topic I seem to remember a box car got trapped down the line in EH, think it was on a cut off spur against a building. Anyone? Still there??

Got to Hartford about 11:30 yesterday in time for "everything." One job departing for West Springfield, a short line of hoppers headed across the bridge toward EH, and as I left it looked like power returning from making the interchange w/ CNZR in Hartford.
 #1502825  by Larry

I was in Windsor today and saw CSO southbound toward HTFD and she had 4 engines and the fourth one was RED! Couldn't catch it to see any marks on it so not sure who is getting this engine? Anyone know?
 #1504014  by Larry

I was out on Rte 5 heading North through South Windsor today and it looks like CSO has worked the Armory branch recently cutting back some trees and bushes along right of way.
 #1505317  by Plate C

This thread moves about as slow as a P&W train through Wethersfield, lol, was hoping to see some updates.

The red engine, might that be an LTEX 1413? I saw it come down into W SPG and I believe it's for CSOR but have not seen it since W SPG a few weeks ago. Also saw they had 2 ex-LIRR cabooses they took from W SPG to the farmer's market in HTFD. They moved since then, thought they were maybe bringing them for P&W to use.
 #1512659  by FLRailFan1

Larry wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:33 pm I don't believe JC ever had rail cars delivered. Tracks end well far of the building and I don't believe were ever brought to the building itself. As for HTFD Dist. cars were constantly getting broken into in Hartford yard so they gave up on the service many years back in the Conrail, Rail Tex then Rail America time frame.
JCP had rail service...I remember when my ex was working there and I asked about it...there are -or were - tracks in the warehouse. I wish CNZR could buy the lines, and I bet he could get more customers...
 #1529329  by QB 52.32

Pan Am Southern gets its rights from Guilford's (Springfield Terminal) purchase of its CT lines from Conrail as a way to get to Springfield (East Deerfield) and went along when Conrail sold the line. CSOR's rights are owned by CSX who received them during the Conrail split. Conrail, of course, received them when they sold the line. CSOR operates as a lessee of these rights coming out of a long-term agreement with Conrail to operate without actual transfer of ownership.
 #1529934  by Jedijk88

Stop & Shop and Hannaford supermarkets owner Ahold Delhaize plans during 2020 to open 975,00 square feet of warehouse and distribution space at a former JCPenney distribution center outside Hartford.
https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/01/s ... ocers.html

The former JP Penney building will be a new Stop & Shop DC. Not sure if they would ever consider rail service but other S&S warehouses used rail at one time. (my guess is they encountered service issues with rail not to mention the over shift to truck in this business) However, the video attached to the article mentions the rail connection.
 #1530026  by Lincoln78

The building is very convenient to I-84 westbound, and not too complex to go east. I think rail for inbound freight would make a lot of sense. Getting anything into New England is a challenge.
 #1530029  by bwparker1

Not sure what is viable on rail these days for groceries, other than maybe produce in reefers out of the northwest. Or possibly canned goods? On the brochure advertising the logistics center they had a photo of the rail spur.
 #1530038  by daybeers

There won't be any perishable goods at the new distribution center. However, I don't see why Stop & Shop would pay to use the rail line considering highway is right there and all of their goods travel by truck as far as I know.