Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1437077  by amtrak-wnd

I was coming home tonight and caught the local up in Suffield. They parked some flatcars on the part of the Suffield branch that hasn't been used in years as well as a spur in the woods nearby.
IMG_5348 (800x533).jpg
IMG_5349 (800x533).jpg
 #1437437  by Larry

I was up by Bradley Airport last night (7/9/17 and saw some of the same cars parked on the main line located in Camp Hartell. Looks like about four cars were stored there. I saw these same type cars weeks ago on CSO-4 and wonder why they had them. They stored them in Hartford yard for a day and then they were gone. I never knew where they went. This is another bunch hey just brought in and looks like they are storing them around the property.
 #1437600  by Larry

Thanks for the update on the cars usage. I didn't know we had that much in Military equipment to ship out in CT still. 42 cars is quite a bit. Also saw that the four cars spotted in Camp Hartell are on the siding and not the main line. I went by in the day time hours to look at it better in the sunlight.
 #1437919  by NHV 669

Larry wrote: I didn't know we had that much in Military equipment to ship out in CT still. 42 cars is quite a bit.
We used to easily load that much a day, when we were prepping moves for training around the US while I was stationed at Fort Carson in CO. This is probably a guard unit getting ready to do some sort of training somewhere.
 #1438952  by Larry

I saw one box car in Manchester Ct yard yesterday (7/24/17), located near Sanford and Hawley but I think it was for the Brick company. I hope there will be more to come.
 #1439761  by FLRailFan1

I wonder when CSO will abandon Manchester...it is a shame, but CT is not business friendly. I think you will see it abandoned from East Hartford east of School St. Either that or Central New England buying it...
 #1441026  by Larry

by amtrak-wnd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:09 pm
CSO-4 this morning had 42 flatcars loaded with military stuff going north from Hartford. That's what the flatcars are for

I saw 51 flat cars loaded with the military equipment coming south through Windsor CT yesterday (8/16/17) on CSO-4. The exercise where ever it was held has wrapped up it seems and the equipment has returned to CT.
 #1442395  by Larry

CSO was having more tie work in the Hartford yard again today, I watched about sixty old ties come out and about that amount going in on main line that heads towards the Valley line up to the crossing of the Manchester line. Speaking of Manchester line, nothing out on the far end of the line and the rail is getting filled in with dirt and sand on the crossing of Tolland Turnpike. I hope they can secure this line and get some big customer out there soon in the Manchester area.
 #1443223  by Larry

Yesterday, 9/7/17 I saw one box car in Manchester yard for the Brick Co located there. I also saw that back in Hartford Yard, on going tie replacement going on and they were working the East Hartford - Manchester / South Windsor line heading east toward the Hartford to East Hartford Bridge over CT River. I talked to one person and he said they are to do tie / surfacing on both Manchester and South Windsor lines but they will need a lot more ties if anything spectacular is going to get done. There is a few hundred ties in Hartford yard so they won't go very far unless more our coming? Both lines are in need of many ties at this point but then again, not much is going over them these days.
 #1443547  by Larry

Today 9/11/2017 I saw in East Hartford CT yard that tie replacement being done all the way up to the yard lead that goes around the yard as well as the main line. Not sure if they will continue on to Manchester, I will try and check tomorrow. South Windsor line also had bundles of ties (not many) on side of track heading up to as far as rte 291 (as far as I could go today). I would say in East Hartford, maybe ever tenth tie was replaced at best. Run around track had more done on the far curve toward bakery paring lot. Will check again to see how they are progressing in the next few days. Hard to get around as they are ripping up Park ave in E.H. for new pavement to be going down and lots of side streets also getting repaved.
 #1443683  by Larry

Didn't make it through EH today but went to the end of the line in Manchester and saw no bundles of ties on the side of the right away going as far back towards EH and Manchester town line. I did see a couple of guys working in the Hartford yard working on it looked like a switch but to far for me to see. The were there for a few hours and working just one area.