Railroad Forums 

• St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1547218  by NHV 669

On a drive to Maidstone Lake yesterday, noted that Groveton siding is now clear of the stored AIMX gons, and that some of the recent rail dropping was done heading north/west out of town.
 #1547277  by S1f3432

Hi Casey, I took a ride up to Locke Mills Saturday afternoon and didn't spot anything new anywhere
buts there's a lot of woods along the way where it wouldn't be visible anyway. Except for about a mile
of old ( 100 lb ? ) rail between Oxford St crossing at the Oxford-South Paris town line and Kilgore Rd at the Paris Rec field it's mostly newer heavy rail down this way although some of is jointed. A couple of years
ago SLR replaced some of the jointed rail going down the hill east of Bryant Pond with CWR. Farther
down the hill eastward toward West Paris and West of Bryant Pond it already was CWR. No idea how
much of the old rail may be left.
 #1547381  by Fritz

Hello,
Yesterday I managed to catch both of the SLQ road trains (and also the FRA inspection train but not the freight on the WACR).

Yesterday's SLQ 393 departed Island Pond around 0740 with the following:

GP40 3004
QG GP40 3105
GP40-2 3035
10 centerbeam flats
3 hi-cube boxcars
7 covered hoppers
7 tank cars
10 propane cars

That's 38 cars total, all empties.

Later the eastbound 394 arrived in Island Pond at 2020 with the following:

RM-1 804
GP40-3 3804
RLHH SD40-2 3403
11 centerbeam flats
3 bulkhead flats
8 hi-cube boxcars
7 covered hoppers
11 tank cars
8 propane cars

That's 49 cars total, including 48 loads and 1 empty.
Have a great day,
Fritz
 #1547553  by Fritz

Hello,
It is my understanding that the FRA inspection train will run on SLR next week. On Monday, they should be running westbound from Lewiston Junction to the U.S. Canada border. Then they should overnight in Island Pond and return eastbound on Tuesday. If any one observes it running west on Monday, can you post time(s) and location(s) for those of us farther west. If like two years ago, they should depart Island Pond eastbound early in the morning (e.g. 0730). I will post if I learn more.
Best,
Fritz
 #1547563  by S1f3432

Thanks for the heads-up about the FRA train, Fritz- I'll Try to Catch it.
Photo of SLR Tr393 Eng 3403-3804-804 and 35 cars leaving Bryant Pond last night at about 2030.
Attachments:
_DSC9344.jpg
_DSC9344.jpg (518.82 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
 #1547607  by Fritz

s1f3432,
Great action photo! Thanks for sharing. Yes, please keep us posted if you see the FRA train on Monday, especially where and when. Thanks!

gokeefe,
Yes, there have been very few loaded boxcars moving westbound along the SLR lately, just loaded ones going east to South Paris.
Best,
Fritz
 #1547800  by Fritz

Greg and Casey, thanks for the information, and, Casey, for keeping me posted as the train rolled west. Thanks to your helpful information, I was able to intercept them at West Milan and follow them west to Island Pond, where they moved the locomotive from the west end to the east end of the train. They then departed Island Pond at 1845 and tested the track from there to Norton, which they reached at 2000. It is my understanding that they will overnight in Island Pond and then return east tomorrow. The weather was a bit hit or miss, but the sun did shine in the location where I really hoped it would:

http://fritz.rrpicturearchives.net/show ... id=5358994

Thanks again for keeping us posted on this train's movements.
All the best,
Fritz
 #1547821  by NHV 669

I intended to catch them at Bryant Pond, and probably could have, but ended up leaving the house late with a 70 minute drive to undertake. I waited for them at Bethel for a good bit, as they took over an hour to get there from S. Paris, and chased them from there to Cascade, where I broke for home as it started raining heavily. It was a nice opportunity to get some shots I've never had, as they weren't going all that fast and the short train certainly helped. Nice shot Fritz, that was my last intended spot, at least someone got it.

I took a few clips of the train at certain spots, still getting a few onto YT as I type:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoB-9Q ... 3VpqKQKsdg
 #1547887  by Fritz

Hello,
Tonight's SLQ eastbound 394 arrived in Island Pond at 1938. After a 4-minute crew change, the SLR eastbound 394 pulled east to the east siding switch. After spotting six loads at RCP, they departed east at 2008 with the following:

QG GP40-2W 3014
GP40-3 3803
RM-1 803
2 centerbeam flats
30 hi-cube boxcars (count them ... 30!)
2 propane cars
9 tank cars
3 covered hoppers
1 hi-sided gondola

That's 47 cars total, including 43 loads and 4 empties. I was amazed by the large number of hi-cube boxcars.
Have a great night,
Fritz