Railroad Forums 

• St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1526883  by NYC27

Shortlines aren't applicable to C-49 (Interswitching) rules and also if they were this area lies within the Quebec-Windsor corridor. SLR is mostly a paper railroad for CN though, but still within the exemption zone.
I have to plead ignorance on the Exact Canadian regs, but I know from experience that CMQ participates in interswitching both to and from SLQ at Lennoxville and CP at St-Jean.

Domtar and Kruger are open on SLQ and the exEKA plant is open on CMQ. MMA complained vociferously to CTA about the negative effects being forced to interswitch for CP and CN had on the company.

On the CP side CMQ can hit St-Jean, Delson and Seaway Spur while Iberville, St-Jean and Versailles are open to CP on CMQ. CP didn’t interswitch CDAC or MMA due to a traffic agreement, but that changed after the CMQ creation.

MMA complained vociferously to CTA about the negative effects being forced to interswitch for CP and CN had on the company. You could find those filings online at one point but I can’t find them at the moment. If you are still friendly with someone in CMQ marketing, don’t take my word for it confirm it with them.
 #1526889  by CN9634

NYC27 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:40 pm
Shortlines aren't applicable to C-49 (Interswitching) rules and also if they were this area lies within the Quebec-Windsor corridor. SLR is mostly a paper railroad for CN though, but still within the exemption zone.
I have to plead ignorance on the Exact Canadian regs, but I know from experience that CMQ participates in interswitching both to and from SLQ at Lennoxville and CP at St-Jean.

Domtar and Kruger are open on SLQ and the exEKA plant is open on CMQ. MMA complained vociferously to CTA about the negative effects being forced to interswitch for CP and CN had on the company.

On the CP side CMQ can hit St-Jean, Delson and Seaway Spur while Iberville, St-Jean and Versailles are open to CP on CMQ. CP didn’t interswitch CDAC or MMA due to a traffic agreement, but that changed after the CMQ creation.

MMA complained vociferously to CTA about the negative effects being forced to interswitch for CP and CN had on the company. You could find those filings online at one point but I can’t find them at the moment. If you are still friendly with someone in CMQ marketing, don’t take my word for it confirm it with them.
I'm not expert either, and the C-49 rules keep changing, so hard to keep up with. My understanding was there was grief that shortlines could not participate (of if they were it wasn't by choice), but the commercial relationships with these routes in discussion and their respective Class I agreements may have some influence on what is happening here. At any rate, it'll be a moot point in a handful of weeks since the landscape.
 #1527251  by Fritz

Hello,
Today's SLQ westbound 393 departed Island Pond at 0753 with the following:

GP40 3004
RM-1 803
GP40-3 3803
8 centerbeam flats
6 hi-cube boxcars
2 hi-sided gondolas
15 propane cars
6 tank cars
5 covered hoppers

That's 42 cars total, including 2 loads and 40 empties.
Have a great weekend,
Fritz
 #1527474  by Fritz

gokeefe,
No. Mostly they are beige/gray AIMX ones. There used to be some older SSEX ones, but I haven't seen those in a few years. And once or twice there was an old coal bathtub gondola (TKVX). They are interesting because they can go loaded in either direction.
Best,
Fritz
 #1528042  by Fritz

Hello,
Today's SLQ westbound 393 departed Island Pond at 0837 with the following:

GP40-2 3047
RM-1 803
GP40-3 3803
8 centerbeam flats
10 tank cars
19 propane cars
9 hi-cube boxcars
17 scrap gondolas
1 covered hopper

That's 64 cars total, all empties.

Of note, the 17 scrap gondolas included 15 beige AIMX gondolas, which, given their location right behind the pick-up from Island Pond, suggests that they were pulled from Groveton, but that is only a guess. There also 7 AIMX scrap gons parked on one of the yard tracks in Island Pond (the same 7 that went west with the turn run out of Richmond the day that the CN strike ended - see previous post).
Have a great weekend,
Fritz
 #1528451  by Fritz

Hello,
Today's SLQ westbound 393 departed Island Pond at 0806 with the following:

GP40-2 3047
GP40-2 3007
GP40-2 3008
6 centerbeam flats
7 hi-cube boxcars
1 covered hopper
6 tank cars
24 propane cars
2 scrap gons

That's 46 cars total, including 7 loads and 39 empties. Interestingly, there was a single load of lumber moving west. I don't think that I have ever seen that before!
Best,
Fritz
 #1528769  by S1f3432

Perhaps the rumors of increased train frequencies this winter will come true. Trains ran in each direction last
night- first time on a Wednesday since the flood disruptions AFAIK.
 #1528952  by Fritz

Hello,
Today's SLQ westbound 393 departed Island Pond at 0810 with the following:

GP40-2 3047
RM-1 805
GP40-3 3804
2 centerbeam flats
3 bulkhead flats
3 covered hoppers
9 tank cars
15 propane cars
2 boxcars
3 hi-cube boxcars

That's 37 cars total, including 5 loads and 32 empties.

I too have heard that will be running next Sunday and Monday, not Tuesday or Wednesday, and again next Friday and Saturday.
Have a great weekend,
Fritz
 #1529040  by NHV 669

Southern Ontario Railway SD40-2 (RLHH reporting mark) 3403 (nee CP 5516) will be headed to SLR soon. This unit already wears the corporate black & orange scheme.

No Sunday train, it appears they will run Mon/Thurs/Fri this coming week.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1529076  by S1f3432

Googled "Southern Ontario Railroad" and among other things turned up a Railway Age article explaining
SOR is the former CN Hagersville Subdivision which CN is mostly reclaiming along with parts of the
Goderich-Exeter Railway which was once a CN secondary mainline London-Stratford-Kitchener-Toronto.
SOR extended southwesterly from Hamilton.