Railroad Forums 

• CNJ Name Trains

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#563229  by NJTRailfan

I know CNJ had the Blue Comet but where there any other name trains? Lackawanna for example had others aside from the Phoebe Snow like the Lake Cities, Twilight and I think one called the Scrantonian.

Does anyone know any additional names CNJ had named their trains? I'm sure they had quite a few for those going down the shore or even due west to P burg and all they way to Allentown ,PA.
 #563325  by NY&LB

"Queen of the Valley" is the first one taht comes to mind....more later
 #563340  by CJPat

As mentioned in another thread, I believe the Mermaid was CNJ (Raritan to Pt Pleasant/bayhead?).
 #563352  by Ken W2KB

NJTRailfan wrote:I know CNJ had the Blue Comet but where there any other name trains? Lackawanna for example had others aside from the Phoebe Snow like the Lake Cities, Twilight and I think one called the Scrantonian.

Does anyone know any additional names CNJ had named their trains? I'm sure they had quite a few for those going down the shore or even due west to P burg and all they way to Allentown ,PA.
The Bullet.?

Hunterdon Valley? Commuter
 #564090  by NY&LB

"Harrisburg Special" J.C. - Harrisburg - "Harrisburg-New Yorker" Harrisburg - J.C.
"Queen of the Valley" J.C. - Harrisburg - same name in both directions
"The Williamsporter" J.C. - Williamsport
 #564236  by Ken W2KB

NY&LB wrote:"Harrisburg Special" J.C. - Harrisburg - "Harrisburg-New Yorker" Harrisburg - J.C.
"Queen of the Valley" J.C. - Harrisburg - same name in both directions
"The Williamsporter" J.C. - Williamsport
Was the Williamsporter a CNJ or Reading train?

One could legitimately add the Crusader, and other Reading B&O trains that used the CNJ Terminal, to this topic.

Thence the Philadelphia Flyers, joint CNJ- Reading service.
 #564378  by NY&LB

Ken,

Good question. My reference is June 1941 Official Guide, Train 120 - 121, The Williamsporter is listed in the CNJ section but NOT in the Reading section, in the CNJ section it shows Shamokin - Williamsport as {Rdg Co}, looks like it ran JC 12:17 am - Mauch Chunk (Jim Thorpe) 3:02 am then down the Tamaqua Branch to Tamaqua 3:40 am ; than as RDG #11 from Tamaqua 3:52 am to Williamsport 7:20 am. A LOVELY trip! CNJ or RDG, can't really tell but it spent more time on the CNJ than on the RDG.

73 de K2UO
 #565128  by JimBoylan

That is a great find - A Lehigh & New England named train! Mauch Chunk to Tamaqua in 38 minutes had to be via the Hauto - Lansford Tunnel and the L&NE to South Tamaqua. I don't think that's enough time to go via Haucks - RDG - East Mahanoy Jct. and backtrack to Tamaqua.
 #577932  by davidyur

I believe there was also a train called "Interstate Express" which ran from Philadelphia to Scranton on Rdg/Central Jersey and from Scranton into New York via DLW. If anyone has any information on this train I'd appreciate it.

Also, The Scranton Flyer (Phila. to Scranton).

Thanks for any more info.
 #598967  by Kaback9

davidyur wrote:I believe there was also a train called "Interstate Express" which ran from Philadelphia to Scranton on Rdg/Central Jersey and from Scranton into New York via DLW. If anyone has any information on this train I'd appreciate it.

Also, The Scranton Flyer (Phila. to Scranton).

Thanks for any more info.
There was a train called the "Interstae Express" I don't know much about it but I believe it had sleeping cars. I have some old photos of it and theres an article on it in a Railroad Model Craftsman IIRC.
 #628624  by Caseyjim

The Interstate Express came out of Philadelphia up Reading's Bethlehem Branch to Bethlehem, where the westbound train was handed off to the CNJ, which in turn, forwarded it to the Lackawanna at Scranton, and the Lackawanna took the train the rest of the way to Syracuse,NY as an All Pullman train. The eastbound train followed this process in reverse order.