Railroad Forums 

• Small print on CNJ diesel cabsides

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#495858  by Storknest

On certain CNJ diesels, there is small print on the cabsides. SD40 #3067 has a couple of lines below the number, other SD40s have some to the right of the logo. SD35s appear to have them on the side sill near the front. Is there any record of what these say? Is it locomotive type like some railroads or something else? Thanks.

#496556  by Steam man

Here's the 3067. The stenciling under the engine number is most likely a statement or indication of leasing. CNJ #'s 3061 thru 3069 were leased B&O units #'s 7482-7490. Not all locomotives had it, an some others had the classification (e.i.SD-40,SD-35,etc) off to the side of the engine numbers. Some had both sets of stenciling. You really can't make out the actual letters,but you can see the classification stenciling at the rear bottom of 3063's cab below.

Last edited by Steam man on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

#496600  by uhaul

Thanks for those photos Steam man and an explanation.

#496670  by Steam man

Addendum: There was one additional locomotive used by the CNJ of the SD-40 class that was also a B&O leased unit. Engine #7484 retained it's B&O identiy for what ever reason.
 #497765  by clamdigger

B&O SD40#7484 was renumbered as CNJ#3063 with the Liberty Herald applied beneath the cab windows and above the #3063.I don't see how that is retaining its B&O identity.Please clarify if you would.Thanks.
VJH
 #501056  by Steam man

clamdigger wrote:B&O SD40#7484 was renumbered as CNJ#3063 with the Liberty Herald applied beneath the cab windows and above the #3063.I don't see how that is retaining its B&O identity.Please clarify if you would.Thanks.
VJH
You are of course correct. For some reason the roster I was using listed the locomotive in question as a separate distinct unit and only had photos of it in B&O livery. I thought it was kind of strange with the series of engine numbers given to have this one as 'odd man out' in the lineup. Thanks for your observation.