Railroad Forums 

• New Hope Branch

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#508280  by BuddSilverliner269

Just another bit of fact. If this turntable does indeed exist along the ROW and is from Atlantic City Im guessing its a piece of the PRSL? Well teh water column in use buy the NHIR in New Hope is from teh old PRSL Coppers Pt yard in Camden. Enjoy
 #686793  by m2116x6

When was the passing siding installed at Grenoble? Is this original or something that was added later?

Thanks,
Jim
 #687042  by JimBoylan

Grenoble passing siding is quite old, from Reading or earlier days. McHugh Bros. disconnected the South switch about 1980 and extended the siding South through the site of the station platform almost all the way to Grenoble Rd.
 #687049  by m2116x6

I've read where the station was closed in 1954. What year was the station torn down?

Re:

#760429  by TREnecNYP

RDGAndrew wrote:
I was actually watching that siding waiting for SEPTA to rip the switch out. Glad Conte Luna had a change of heart.
I also grew up in Warminster and don't remember seeing hoppers on the siding until about 1991/92 when the blue GATX Airslides started to show up. Conte Luna actually did rip out the switch, maybe 5 years ago! I remember going by and noticing that it was completely gone, and thinking it was a shame to see the service go completely to those bulk trucks. Then, not 6 months later, there was a new frog and new switch rails on the ballast, and soon the siding was back in service! I heard (perhaps here on railroad.net) that there was a management change at Conte Luna, and the outgoing management had made the no-rail decision, but the new management reversed that. Anyone else remember this? It was surreal.
I remember that. We caught a 2 covered hopper train being moved onto that little service track next to the plant back in.... musta been 1991. Was the only time i've ever seen a train move there before or since. I was 11 and on my way to a private school in montgomery county after a long pick up route.

By the way, in the summer operating hours, do visit triumph bar & grill in New Hope. I don't drink, but the patio abuts the ROW. :)

- A
 #762761  by Schuylkill Valley

Do any of you guy's have any photo's of DL&W 565 sitting at New Hope during the 1970's - 80's ?

I'm the Co - Volunteer Lead on Project 565 Http://project565.webs.com I'm looking for photos to help us put her back together.

Thanks,
Len.