Railroad Forums 

• Southern Division current operations question?

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#1310925  by frankgaron2

Hi All:

Started the New Year off right by railfanning the CNJ Southern Division by my in-laws' house over in Lakehurst last Thursday.
CASO doesn't come to Lakehurst these days - they were running around their train here just north of the Rt. 70 overpass up until a few years ago but I understand they built a runaround track a few miles north now so no need to come all the way to Lakehurst anymore.

Anybody know what the deal is with reopening the line to the sand pit at Woodmansie? I have pictures of them clearing the line south of Lakehurst 2-3 years or so ago and nothing seems to have happened since. A non-starter perhaps?

Also, the rails are cut at the south end of the Route 539 crossing in Whiting. Not sure when that happened? Anybody else know if the rails are cut anyplace else between say Whiting and Winslow Junction?

Thanks,

Frank
 #1313171  by Kevinhooa

To add to what Meghan said, the rails are also cut at the Parker Preserve (steel is actually also welded to the rails as a sort of guard rail to keep people out), lifted at High Crossing, and removed and patch-paved at the Rt. 206 crossing.
 #1338463  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Tracks are still in north of Winslow Jct. but I don't think they've been used for a while. Abandoned equipment sitting under bridges at Winslow Jct. tracks are weed covered,much like the days of the CNJ. :wink: Looked like two working locos at shop across street. Place is in middle of nowhere.No wonder I couldn't find it first time I tried.
Chasing(if you can call it that) the Thursday local from Red Bank to Lakewood must be a lot like the days of the CNJ ,as trains only go 10 mph. :-)