Railroad Forums 

• New York and Long Branch Timetables

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#1220223  by RedbirdR33

This is a question about the timetables issued by the New York & Long Branch Railroad before and after the implementation of the Aldene plan. When I was collecting timetables in the mid-sixties for the New York and Long Branch Railroad you had three choices. If you want to Pennsylvania Station (the real one) you were given PRR Form 38 "North Jersey Coast" which only showed the PRR trains operating on the NY&LB. If you want to a CNJ Ticket Office you received a copy of TT 102 "Seashore Trains" which only showed the CNJ trains. The only timetables that showed the trains of both railroads were the small TDI ones.

The first post-Aldene timetable for the NY & LB was issued on April 30, 1967. It was Form LB-2 "North Jersey Coast Trains" and carried the names of three railroads; CRRNJ,PRR and NY&LBRR. This form continued in use until July 29, 1979 when it was superseded by CR/NJDOT Form NJ-2.

At one point in time (1952) the NY&LB RR did issue its own timetables showing the trains of both railroads. (Form LB-1?)

My questions are these:
1) When and if did the NY & LB stop issuing it's own timetables? If you went to a ticket office on the Long Branch itself could you obtain such a timetable? Do you know when the last one was issued.?

I would like to thank you all in advance for your patience and will aprreciate your responses.

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #1222965  by edbear

I couldn't tell you when NY & LB ceased issuing its own public timetables; I know I have or had one from 1920s. However, Official Guides of the Railways had the full complement of CNJ and PRR trains listed. I have the Nov. 1970 Guide right here and the full timetable has both roads' trains. NY&LB also issued its own employee timetables and I have some from 1950s and 1960s. NY&LB appeared in the Guide right after CNJ.
 #1228010  by GSC

I have on my desk right now a NY&LB timetable showing all trains, dated 2:01 AM, Sunday, September 10, 1951, TT No. 333.

That, and the couple of official Guides I have - I could (and have) sit and read them all day. Fascinating.