Railroad Forums 

• CNJ Southern Division

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#1504313  by R&DB

liftedjeep wrote:
R&DB wrote:
jcomuzzi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:38 pm
If you need an example of the booths visit Farmingdale.
Concrete phone booth along the passing siding in Lakehurst:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4375978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
Ben, thanks for the photo. It corrects what I said about the boothes. They are hexagonal, not octagonal. :-)
 #1504502  by jcomuzzi

Thanks R&DB. So I'm beginning to think the signals only controlled the main. Do you (or anybody) understand what the notations in the track diagram:
viewtopic.php?f=186&t=9617&p=1504273&hi ... n#p1504273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mean? The upper head usually has a box separated into vertical sections (relative to the signal head), The 2nd head usually has a box separated into some number of horizontal sections and the 3rd head if present has a diagonal line. Some masts also have a small circle below the 2nd head. I remember from the 70's there were signals that had a fixed red light for the 2nd head and not a full signal head. There's a lot of detail in that diagram, it must have meant something.

Thanks again!
 #1559307  by Bracdude181

Does anyone know what sorts of equipment was used on the last passenger trains that ran south of Lakehurst before service stopped in the 40s?
 #1559429  by R&DB

Passenger service ended in 1953. Cars were at that time mostly 1920s era coaches, baggage, combines and RPOs. Locos were mostly 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 Camelbacks from Baldwin and Alco. I imagine the 820 and 830 series on Pacifics ere also seen, but after the Blue Comet's demise in 1941, the were mostly used in commuter territory.
 #1566597  by GSC

Bob Hoeft's article on working the Southern out of Red Bank in the 50s said FM HH-15 Baby Trainmasters were used in the last of the passenger service, along with 4-6-0 Camelbacks. He mentioned how you took water in the tender at Lakehurst and Barnegat before turning on the turntable, to balance the table, making it easier to "armstrong" it.
 #1566863  by R&DB

GSC wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:09 pm Bob Hoeft's article on working the Southern out of Red Bank in the 50s said FM HH-15 Baby Trainmasters were used in the last of the passenger service, along with 4-6-0 Camelbacks. He mentioned how you took water in the tender at Lakehurst and Barnegat before turning on the turntable, to balance the table, making it easier to "armstrong" it.
I thought the turntable in Lakehurst was removed around 1930. When did Mr. Hoeft work for CNJ? The Baby Trainmasters make sense as the passenger service lasted until 1953.
 #1576967  by GSC

R&DB wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:50 am
GSC wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:09 pm Bob Hoeft's article on working the Southern out of Red Bank in the 50s said FM HH-15 Baby Trainmasters were used in the last of the passenger service, along with 4-6-0 Camelbacks. He mentioned how you took water in the tender at Lakehurst and Barnegat before turning on the turntable, to balance the table, making it easier to "armstrong" it.
I thought the turntable in Lakehurst was removed around 1930. When did Mr. Hoeft work for CNJ? The Baby Trainmasters make sense as the passenger service lasted until 1953.
Not sure how long he worked for CNJ. The article mentions working in the 50s, before passenger service ended. He did talk about the turntables, Lakehurst included. Maybe someone knows when the table was removed. I saw some old track maps of Lakehurst, and it was quite extensive at one time. Shops, turntable, junction and wye, lots of trackage. It was the trade-off meeting point of JS-1 and SJ-2 through freights. The engineers traded engines while the conductor stayed with his train. He spoke of some Red Bank passenger service ending at Lakehurst, others went on to Barnegat. No mention of any pass service south of Lakehurst.
 #1577052  by R&DB

#1576967 by GSC
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:45 am
Gary;
The turntable, roundhouse and most shop buildings were definately gone by 1931. (From aerial photo via Historic Aerials) Passenger service below Lakehurst (except Barnegat) I believe ended 1941. All remaining Passeger service on the Southern ceased in 1953.
 #1625908  by Kaback9

Going to bring this topic back from the dead.

A few questions,

1.) What were the major car types used in the late 60's/ early 70's? Was sand being loaded into open hoppers as well as covered hoppers that I am assuming came from various CNJ/LNE heritage.

2.) I know JS1/SJ2 would work Winslow, was there any real interchange by the late 60's up until Conrail?

I'll leave it at that for now....
 #1626378  by R&DB

AFAIK the sand ttrains from Woodmansie did not start until about 1980. (give or take) I only remember seeing covered hoppers on the unit sand trains. I lived on Maxim Road from 82-92 and saw quite a few of them.

The JS-1 & SJ-2 were mixed freight.

By the late 60s the little freight interchange at Winslow was probably to/from Cape May County area to/from North Jersey. Anything going East/West was PRSL via Pamona.
 #1626617  by Kaback9

R&DB wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:44 am AFAIK the sand ttrains from Woodmansie did not start until about 1980. (give or take) I only remember seeing covered hoppers on the unit sand trains. I lived on Maxim Road from 82-92 and saw quite a few of them.

The JS-1 & SJ-2 were mixed freight.

By the late 60s the little freight interchange at Winslow was probably to/from Cape May County area to/from North Jersey. Anything going East/West was PRSL via Pamona.
Sand used to be loaded prior to the 80's from various locations. There were quite a few projects that used it, I know the larger covered hoppers that the CNJ bought (only a few of them iirc) caused a few derailments on the lighter track. in later years. Was curious as to where the open hoppers came from looked like CNJ coal hoppers but have never been able to find any pictures other than of power.

While aware that JS-1 and SJ-2 were the way freights, i am curious as to what work was actually done at Winslow along side what if any interchange was left. I'd imagine the PC merger took that for the most part.
 #1629229  by R&DB

#1626617 by Kaback9
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:40 pm

K,
Yes there was a lot of sand mined other than Woodmansie. The areas North and South of Lakehurst had huge sand mines. There were more near Chatsworth. I only mentioned Woodmansie because it is still active. (but not currently rail-served)
 #1629993  by Kaback9

R&DB wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:13 am #1626617 by Kaback9
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:40 pm

K,
Yes there was a lot of sand mined other than Woodmansie. The areas North and South of Lakehurst had huge sand mines. There were more near Chatsworth. I only mentioned Woodmansie because it is still active. (but not currently rail-served)
All good, I've just heard that there were times in CNJ days when Lakehurst would have the local, JS1/SJ2 and a unit sand train. I'm just curious as to where these unit trains came from. Was it just made up in Lakehurst from the local pits or was it any where specific they came out of.
 #1631870  by R&DB

#1629993 by Kaback9
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:44 pm
Yes, up until the late eighties there were two huge sand mines near Lakehurst. One was South of the western circle about 2 miles West on rte 70 and had big siding. The other big one was West of rte 547 and had a spur from the Secondary to the mine.(removed about 2005)