Railroad Forums 

• LNE Engine 2-8-0 #38 history

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#700455  by bigpistol

Can any tell me anything about this train.
Like where is this photo taken.
Is the engine still around.
The person on the far left is my Great Grand Father.

#702205  by GSC

Can't help you with the location, but that is one great picture! Thanks for sharing it.
 #703577  by Aa3rt

bigpistol-Here's some information on L&NE #38 from History of the Lehigh and New England Railroad Company edited by Randolph L. Kulp and published by the Lehigh Valley chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in 1972:

#38 was one of 13 locomotives classed as "E 6" by the L&NE. Built by Baldwin (Philadelphia) in January of 1913 with a construction number of 39086 the locomotive had 50" drivers, had a boiler pressure of 200 lbs. and weighed 146,200 pounds. It was scrapped in May of 1931.

Sorry, I can't help you with a location-there are few visible landmarks in the background of the photo aside from the hill, thus there's not enough to go on, at least for me. Perhaps if you could tell us where your great-grandfather lived some sharp-eyed L&NE enthusiast could correlate that to a yard or division point on the railroad.

Incidentally, a very nice photo! Thanks for sharing! Do you have any idea when it may have been taken?