Railroad Forums 

• NYSW and LNE Connections

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#51817  by David

Was there a connection with the NYS&W in the town of Sussex and the L&NE? I remember being there once many years ago when I was riding my OSSA motorcycle along the L&NE ROW from the town of Pellettown and seeing the remains of a wall for a bridge over the L&NE line. This, I was told, was where the NYS&W crossed. It was an interesting run. Several times I was riding quickly over the ROW when I had to stop quickly because the bridges were removed and there was no warning. --Thanks

#52210  by David

Choess--Thanks for pictures and maps--Answers my question. You have anything about Hainesburg (map)?

#54446  by biker

There was a connection with the NYSW at Sussex Junction. I have seen two maps as to how they actually connected. The one that makes the most sense is where the water tower used to be just north of the NYSW bridge remaines. I would love to see a picture of the actual junction, but haven't come across one yet.

I think that in order to make the A&P shopping plaza dirt had to be moved. It is my guess (& just that) that this dirt was dumped on the junction between the NYSW & LNE, which MAY have been directly across from where Tire King is now. If you look at the area you'll see how the land has a bump. In addition, you can see where the remains of the NYSW are at the A&P. On the right side it's about 50 feet long. On the other side of the parking lot behind the bank you can just about see the NYSW ROW that lead to NYSW Sussex Station (try the side roads off route 23 north as well). But in between there had to be at least another 10 feet of earth to keep the ROW level.

If anyone has any more details about this please respond.