Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh and Hudson Bridge at Phillipsburg

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#46822  by kevikens

Recently I have been to P-burg to photograph the region and have seen the bridge that was originally, I think, the Lehigh and Hudson bridge from Easton Pa. I would like to get a picture of a train crossing that bridge but have no idea when one might come. Can anyone out there tell me when such a crossing might take place ? Thanks

#46837  by Lackawanna484

That bridge, the northern-most of the three rail bridges, is used by the local which services the Bel-Del connection, and by the coal trains to Martins Creek power plant. I don't think there's much business other than coal north of P'Burg.

Don't have an idea on times, but the coal trains used to run about every six days, at erratic times of the day. Don't know about current schedules..

#46899  by Scrap The U34CH

I see NS working the power plant sunday's I am guessing the trains run to the plant that morning??

There is some local freight along that line other than coal. There is a Flour Mill in Martians Creek, and a customer in Portland. Plus the DL interchange traffic. I did see a CR local cross that bridge mid day 6-7 years ago. Maybe the PA railfan board will be able to help more.

#46909  by OCtrainguy

There is an Allentown-based local that I believe uses that bridge and uses the Washington Secondary. At least I think that is the name of the line. When I went to Phillipsburg on August 14th, to ride the Bel-Del, there was a NS train going north through Union Square with a PRR SD40-2 and a high-hood GP50. This was shortly before noon.

#46999  by Lackawanna484

Coal trains on Sunday? That might be worth a visit.

I think the L&HR bridge is used only for Martins Creek, Bel-Del, Roxburg, and Phillipsburg local traffic. I don't believe there's a direct connection from the L&HR to the Washington secondary line

The Lehigh Line, Washington Secondary, and the west end of the CNJ all use the other bridge, which was originally CNJ. The LV bridge has been out of service for a decade or so

#47136  by njmidland

There is a good amount of traffic being interchanged between NS and the DL at Slateford Jct. Rumor has it that the interchange might be increased to 5 times a week which would increase the traffic going over the L&HR bridge between Easton and Phillipsburg.

#47182  by David

What route did the 142 use to get to the Bel-Del trackage? L&HR Bridge?

#47340  by elYardley

142 went to Phillipsburg via the Washington Secondary.

#47357  by Lackawanna484

njmidland wrote:There is a good amount of traffic being interchanged between NS and the DL at Slateford Jct. Rumor has it that the interchange might be increased to 5 times a week which would increase the traffic going over the L&HR bridge between Easton and Phillipsburg.
---------------------

That's a long way around.

NS to P'burg, to Martins Creek, to Bangor, to Portland, to Slateford. It's too bad the Bel-Del is gone north of Roxburg. Back in Lackawanna days, there was a direct link to the Old Main which led into Portland via Delaware NJ
 #47492  by Sandy Burton

The 142 would have crossed the Delaware River westbound from the Washington Secondary on the former CNJ bridge and then returned to P'burg via the old L&HR bridge to gain access to the Bel-Del.

Sandy

#47763  by MickD

How will 142 get to Westfield for RR Days.Isn't CNJ severed.Is It LV
to Bound Brook??

#47888  by njt4172

MickD wrote:How will 142 get to Westfield for RR Days.Isn't CNJ severed.Is It LV
to Bound Brook??
Mick,

It will probably go back the same way it came in.....Via the Washington Secondary/Morristown line up MMC/Hudson Tower make a reverse move onto the RVL......NS would charge way too much for it to go via the Lehigh line.....They charge enough over the Washington Sec.

Steve

#47974  by Phase Gap

HOW MUCH DID THE NS CHARGE TO MOVE THE 142 ON THE WASHINGTON SEC.?

#53970  by NJ Vike

Sundays have been good for me at P'Burgh. You can see the NS heading into P'Burgh to Hudson yard onto Belvidere over the SE&P bridge.

In addtion, you can also see NS head towards Newark or to the Washington Secondary which gets to Washington arund 2PM

I believe the local run is about at 11AM but this is what I've experienced there.

Enjoy.

#54368  by Ken W2KB

I saw a westbound freight go thru the crossing near the former Ingersoll Rand property yesterday around 2:30 p.m. or so. Somewhat later a NS highrail was up on the bridge in question chasing off the numerous spectators watching the flooded Delaware rip a couple feet below track level. Many folks were up on the ex-CNJ bridge, and some on the ex-LV. Quite something to see.