Railroad Forums 

• Exciting news on the old L&HR

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#555466  by Paul Miller

With gas prices inflating out of control I've significantly limited my explorations of the L.&H.R. the past 6 months. But this weekend seemed like a good one to hike a little. Much to my surprise, I found 2 of the L.&H.R. railroad trestles that cross over the Pequest River in Pequest have been refurbished to allow hikers to cross them once again. Since this is newly acquired state territory, I'm assuming the work was completed by a division of the state DEP. These 2 bridges were becoming very dangerous to cross when I first discovered the L.&H.R. 2 1/2 years ago. With all of NJ's woes in funding projects, this was an unexpected welcome. The top picture is the trestle at Pequest Furnace Road, near Pequest Station. The middle and bottom pictures are the trestle just northeast of the Pequest Fish Hatchery driveway. Some very nice work was done in completing these trestles. This is a step in the right direction for preserving the R.O.W. where it's abandoned. I urge everyone to explore the beauty and history this abandoned line has to offer. Pequest is especially rural and beautiful to walk through at all times of the year.
pequest bridges071308 002.2.jpg
pequest bridges071308 004.1.jpg
pequest bridges071308 006.1.jpg
 #557483  by Paul Miller

A little birdie told me the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife restored the bridges in order for fisherman to have easier access to the Pequest River. They've done an outstanding job making the bridges safe again for everyone to cross. It almost looks strong enough to support a freight train :-D . Thanks to Dave and Tim for the info.