Railroad Forums 

• NEW BOOK: Tracking Down the L&HR: P'burg to Vernon

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#532400  by Paul Miller

Ralph, when you're ready give me a call and I can hand deliver and sign for you. Tom Callan is not only a great historian and modeler of the LHR, he's a great guy to know. He worked side by side with me on the new archives last summer and was instrumental in providing me with pictures and information for the book. Thanks for your interest, looking forward to your acquaintance. Paul
 #543808  by Bradb14

how's the book selling? will you be at upcoming shows or swap meets?? Any word on NY book?? Thanks Brad
 #544242  by Paul Miller

Hi Brad,
Book has been selling very well, just got another batch printed. Being the owner of a new house I've been busy renovating as of recently. One of my buddies, Tom Callan, has taken some of my books to a few shows and they have sold out. Many weekends my bands have gigs, making it harder to get out there but eventually I plan on frequenting some of the shows.

Re:

#551545  by Otto Vondrak

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Also, as one who is trying to do the same thing (albeit in conjunction with Arcadia Books), I feel your pain. My intention is not to be rich and famous, but rather share the info. There are way too many people out there - Most of them on this website - Who aren't willing to do that, or charge an arm and a leg to "help". With what has transpired here, I think I will not even bother to try to use RR.net to try to "hawk" my product if and when it comes to fruition.
I've published two books and countless articles with little in the way of monetary compensation. You don't get rich in this hobby, that's for sure! And that's not the point. I too enjoy "getting the info out there" otherwise, what's the point? But when someone come up to us and says, "I have a new book, trust me it's good, just buy one," and gets defensive when we ask for details... can you blame us? If anything, we were encouraging Mr. Miller to tell us more and promote his project. Since Mr. Miller finally came forward with details and other people have commented positively on his work, I think that speaks volumes and reinforces his efforts. Now, if Mr. Carfloater doesn't want to promote his project on this web site, I guess we'll have to learn about it through other channels! Someone told me there's a world outside of RAILROAD.NET! I don't believe him, but I'm willing to try anything once! :-D
 #551638  by Paul Miller

Otto, for the record, I never said "just buy one," and I don't know what you mean by being "defensive." Everyone I've met in person has gotten the opportunity to view it before purchase. Those who were genuinely interested in the book called or e-mailed me directly as requested, and I was in no manner defensive nor hesistant in giving them the details.I truly do not wish to disappoint anyone. I do appreciate the kinder words you bestowed this time around and hope you at least get to see the book someday in person. I realize you are a true fan of the LHR and it's for people like yourself and the other gents here I compiled my book. Hopefully we can meet up one day in person to chat, I'm usually heading up towards Warwick at least once a month. I had the opportunity to meet Dave, the moderator of this forum, over the weekend. He was up in Jersey doing the "Route 206 Railroad Tour, " along with 2 other contributors to this forum -Mike Dimunno and Nick/NJ Transit. Dave is a huge fan of the LHR and it was a pleasure spending some time with him and the guys at Andover Diner. We all remarked how unrecognizable the once busy Andover Junction looks now, how overgrown it's become. But the good news is NJ is buying a lot of the ROW for rails to trails in this area. Sometime within the next month I'm sending a copy of the book to the director of NJDEP to try and push funds for the LHR Trail, which is also another goal of the publication. I also got to view the L&HR Train Simulator on Mike DiMunno's laptop. Unbelievable! Whoever did this project did an outstanding job. Although I remain a computer idiot, I'm definitely looking to purchase the software and tinker with this program for a while.
Last edited by Paul Miller on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #551680  by Railjourner

"I also got to view the L&HR Train Simulator on Mike DiMunno's laptop. Unbelievable! Whoever did this project did an outstanding job."

Its a freeware add on route for MS Train Sim by Richard Shirey and it is outstanding. Belvidere to Maybrook with part of the Sussex branch to Port Morris and the Hanford to Ogdensburg. I understand he's currently working on a 1947 version of the route. It can be downloaded at http://www.train-sim.com.
 #551818  by Otto Vondrak

Paul Miller wrote:Otto, for the record, I never said "just buy one." :wink: Everyone I've met in person has gotten the opportunity to view it before purchase. I truly do not wish to disappoint anyone. I do appreciate the kinder words you bestowed this time around and hope you at least get to see the book someday in person. I realize you are a true fan of the LHR and it's for people like yourself and the other gents here I compiled my book. Hopefully we can meet up one day in person to chat.
Nothing unkind about any of my words, Paul, but we're always a little concerned when someone is hesitant to provide details about their product for sale - especially when I might not have the pleasure to meet you in person to see the book before I buy. I don't think you're trying to cheat anyone. I think we're all in agreement here, and a few good references help reinforce the fact that your book is indeed a quality product. It sounds like you've found your audience! I'm sure I'll see you trackside in Orange County sometime!

-otto, who would have been trackside in Maybrook had he not been born in 1977-
 #552163  by CAR_FLOATER

Wow Otto, did we really need to bag on Paul YET AGAIN four months after the fact, for being so "secretive", AND not to mention on the whole "homegrown" book publishing thing for good measure?

It's no wonder Paul feels defensive. I think that by now, that the book should speak for itself - If you are an L&H fan, then you will love this book and find it indespensible. A book doesn't have to be from the allmighty Morning Sun Books to be good. In fact, I am of the opinion that it'll probably be a little bit better. We all tend to be so hung up on "pretty color photo books" these days that we forget that vintage B&W photos, maps and other items are just as, if not moreso, more interesting and historically significant. One of my more cherished books in my library is Bob Fischer's "Only Yesterday On The L&NE" - 100% homegrown published, as far as I know, and so much more informative than the other popular L&NE color book out there.

And for the record once again, I do NOT know Paul, nor have I seen the book (yet), but out of the list of names attached to the book, two of them are personal friends, and one (Bob Mowhowski) is a noted railroad author and historian, and his name would not be associated with this project if it wasn't "up to snuff", I can guarantee you that.

CF
 #552288  by JJMDiMunno

Paul Miller wrote:I had the opportunity to meet Dave, the moderator of this forum, over the weekend. He was up in Jersey doing the "Route 206 Railroad Tour, " along with 2 other contributors to this forum -Mike Dimunno and Nick/NJ Transit. Dave is a huge fan of the LHR and it was a pleasure spending some time with him and the guys at Andover Diner.
I have to say that it was a pleasure meeting with you Paul, and discussing the L&HR at the diner. It was a great break in our route 206 tour.

I can say that the book is impressive, and would take one weeks at the least, if not months, to go through in depth. From someone who has been working on a book project for about 6 years now, I can say that I realize how much work goes into putting together a comprehensive reference volume like this one. For the amount of time and effort Paul must have put forth constructing this masterpiece, I commend him.

The above coming from someone who discovered the L&HR's existance only a few years ago...what does this mean? This book is for everyone - whether you're one who's recently become interested in the L&HR, or a seasoned vereran.

Mike DiMunno
 #552361  by Doris A. Rapisardi

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:Otto, for the record, I never said "just buy one." :wink: Everyone I've met in person has gotten the opportunity to view it before purchase. I truly do not wish to disappoint anyone. I do appreciate the kinder words you bestowed this time around and hope you at least get to see the book someday in person. I realize you are a true fan of the LHR and it's for people like yourself and the other gents here I compiled my book. Hopefully we can meet up one day in person to chat.
Nothing unkind about any of my words, Paul, but we're always a little concerned when someone is hesitant to provide details about their product for sale - especially when I might not have the pleasure to meet you in person to see the book before I buy. I don't think you're trying to cheat anyone. I think we're all in agreement here, and a few good references help reinforce the fact that your book is indeed a quality product. It sounds like you've found your audience! I'm sure I'll see you trackside in Orange County sometime!

-otto, who would have been trackside in Maybrook had he not been born in 1977-
Dear Mr. Vondrak,
Over the past several months, Mr. Miller has responded to all of your questions regarding the book, with clarity and at times great detail. Therefore, it is unclear why the same questions have been perseverated. Mr. Miller's book is a most complete work in which he sought out renowned historians, archivists, hobbyists and the like to research, learn and verify each detail with accuracy and with rigor. The result and outcome is a book written from the creative perspective of taking a passenger ride from Phillipsburg to Vernon.
The writing style keeps the readers attention and details the history of each area. The book is 250 pages+ , 900+ photos, blueprints, track diagrams.. most of which have never been published . The physical efforts of hiking through the brush to locate missing or abandoned parts of the track, markers, etc. enabled the completion of the book. In addition, Mr. Miller was instrumental in uncovering the lost L&HR archives. The information he obtained by traveling to the National Archives in Maryland, the Strasburg, PA Railroad Museum, and the countless town historical societies demonstrates Mr. Miller’s genuine dedication to the LH&R and the fervor to keep the living history alive.
With a forward written by Mr. Marty Feldner and acknowledgements of Mr. Tom Callan, Mr. Dave Rutan, Mr. Ed Crist, Mr. Bob Mohowski, Mr. Tom McGovern and Russ Hallock , Dave Pfeifer, Kurt Bell and over 50 other individuals …the book has a solid foundation and stands on it’s own.

As a published author , a researcher and contributor to several patents,
I am amazed at what Mr. Miller has accomplished in only 2 ½ years.
His ethics, respect for the L&HR, and passion to provide others with this living history
should be an inspiration to you Mr. Vondrak. I hope that one day you and Mr. Miller can meet.

Respectfully Submitted,
Doirs A. Rapisardi
Last edited by Doris A. Rapisardi on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #552408  by David

It was a real pleasure meeting Paul Miller last Saturday in Andover. The book is fabulous. After six days I still have not completed the reading and examination of the photos and text. One of the best books I have come across in a long time. Looking forward for part two, the New York segment. And yes, Paul, you will be welcomed to join us the next time we research the northern part of the state. Our route 206 railroad tour with Nick O'Sullivan and Mike DiMunno ended in Andover at the L&HR crossing on that highway. We also will have a part two of that tour next winter. Hopefully the abandoned segment of the L&HR will be developed into a rail trail with the remaining artifacts left intact that are pictured in Paul's book.
 #552431  by Paul Miller

Dave,
By you logging in here, I'm assuming you had a safe ride home to Florida. The pleasure was mine, believe me. Glad you could enjoy the NJ portion of the L.H.R. abandoned R.O.W. Next time let's plan on a walking tour, I will schedule a vacation day or 2 to show you what I've experienced. Thanks again to Mike DiMunno and Nick O'Sullivan for exposing me to the L.H.R. train simulator. Mike, keep me informed of your project.
 #552542  by CAR_FLOATER

Hello David -

Even with all the positive coments being left here towards Paul and his book in light of recent posts, I would like to ask of you, that considering the continuing negativity, would you please consider either locking the thread so that any further negative commentary and/or personal attacks are no longer perpetuated, or at least think about posting a C&D order to keep people from casting a negative aspect towards the topic at hand? It's a shame that people (myself included) have to come to Paul's "defence", when none should really be required.

Thank you,

Ralph Heiss
S. Plainfield, NJ
 #552729  by David

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Hello David -

Even with all the positive coments being left here towards Paul and his book in light of recent posts, I would like to ask of you, that considering the continuing negativity, would you please consider either locking the thread so that any further negative commentary and/or personal attacks are no longer perpetuated, or at least think about posting a C&D order to keep people from casting a negative aspect towards the topic at hand? It's a shame that people (myself included) have to come to Paul's "defence", when none should really be required.

Thank you,

Ralph Heiss
S. Plainfield, NJ

There will not be any more negative comments here. They will be deleted. The thread will remain unlocked--Thank you--