Railroad Forums 

• LHR right of way converted to trail?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#399054  by tristate

Hello group
I've been hearing that the LHR might be made into a walking trail. Any truth to the rumor? Is most of the row still owned by one entity or has it been broken up?

#399324  by purplezep

The state bought 9 miles starting in Andover and running towards Belvidere. The problem is there's no money for an organization to develop it into a walking trail right now. Kittatinny State Parks is in charge. I spoke with the gentleman in charge, who reported it may take upwards of 10 years to fund the project. Much of it is walkable regardless and I'd highly recommend hiking it.
 #400619  by tristate

Thanks for the info. I was in the neighborhood 2 weeks ago around Tranquility and Andover. It's good to know that something may be done someday to preserve the RoW. It's just about at the point where it's
impassable in some places due to the undergrowth.