Railroad Forums 

• L&HR customers - 1960s

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#612843  by Paul Miller

Mary Jean, would you happen to have a picture of your father's business? I'd love to include it in the next edition of my book. Always good to hear from local businesses on the line!
Thanks,
Paul Miller
 #613934  by NYS&W142Fan

Also Don't forget to add the trackage rights from Andover over the EL's Branchville line to Port Morris Yard where the L&HR exchanged freight with the EL.
 #614021  by Marty Feldner

NYS&W142Fan wrote:Also Don't forget to add the trackage rights from Andover over the EL's Branchville line to Port Morris Yard where the L&HR exchanged freight with the EL.
The Port Morris traffic is not at all germane to this thread; it was DL&W trackage, there was no interchange, and there were no online customers for the L&HR. The trackage rights agreement was to use the L&HR as a conduit to get DL&W traffic to the New Haven's Maybrook gateway into southern New England, bypassing the New York harbor carfloats.

This arrangement dated to about 1905. When the Lackawanna and the Erie merged in 1960, the end of Port Morris jobs was clear; with the Erie having its own direct access to Maybrook, it was only a matter of time. By 1963 the Port Morris traffic was gone.

Regardless of whose engines or crews were on the trains, they were Lackawanna trains.
 #1634567  by sjwheaton1127

If anyone out there is still listening, I'd love to hear from the gentlemen modeling the L&HR to see how they are getting along (or how their models turned out, by now!) I've just started the same journey and would be interested in comparing notes, too.

I have to credit Marty Feldner's website for sparking my interest in the railroad and creating a place in my heart for the little railroad that used to run just down the street from me. I moved to Vernon in 1991 and, though I have lived in Northern NJ almost my whole life, I have no memory of having seen the railroad in action.

Paul Miller also took the time to provide me with a copy of his books which were a source of information and inspiration in taking up this modeling effort.

Thanks to both of these gentlemen for sharing their knowledge and affection of the L&HR!