Railroad Forums 

• L&HR in Alphano NJ/Gamma Chemical

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#355886  by budd5670

Does anyone have any pics of the LHR working the Gamma/Southland Chemical plant in Alphano, NJ, or of the plant itself?? I used to live about 3 miles from Alphano, 1970-1980. Plant was named Gamma till about 1978 or so, then Southland Chemical. I had a great Uncle that lived in Alphano too. I can remember LHR going past Gamma/Southland, or seeing tank cars down there, but I was too young. Chemical plant is gone now, it was demo'd in 1997 I think??? I can remember quite a few cars there at one time must have been back in the late 70's. Used to visit friends and relatives in the Allamuchy area back in the 80's, it was CR then for the last 10 years. Like everything in a blink of an eye, by the mid 80's the line was gone. Did Southland get chemicals by truck after CR took out the rails??

#361906  by oibu

Where exactly was this? I've lived in Hackettstown my whole life and my mom gre wup in Great Meadows but never heard of or saw this plant (that I know of) until reading about it a couple years ago. What types of chemical did they produce?

#362904  by njmidland

Gamma Chemical was off of Alphano Road on Youngs Island Road (the "island" refers to when this was all swampland before being drained in the late 1800's.). This was right on the Allamuchy - Independence town line.

#363134  by oibu

OK thanks, that's where I was thinking it must have been. Still would like to know what types of chemicals they made/handled.
 #629645  by Paul Miller

Gamma Chemical (1950-1966) produced tear gas. Ashland Chemical (1966-1978) produced "specialty chemicals." Southland Company (1978-1988) produced chemicals used in pharmaceuticals, industrial products, and dyestuffs. If you log onto EPA sites for Great Meadows you can find more info on the companies and the cleanups. There's a groundwater purification process going on there now. If you hike through there on the R.O.W., you will notice a distinct odor in the air.
 #630847  by Dump The Air

Paul Miller wrote:Gamma Chemical (1950-1966) produced tear gas. Ashland Chemical (1966-1978) produced "specialty chemicals." Southland Company (1978-1988) produced chemicals used in pharmaceuticals, industrial products, and dyestuffs. If you log onto EPA sites for Great Meadows you can find more info on the companies and the cleanups. There's a groundwater purification process going on there now. If you hike through there on the R.O.W., you will notice a distinct odor in the air.
Paul, when in 66' did Gamma/Ashland change their name? I model the spring of 66' and I'd like to reflect the change on my waybills.