Railroad Forums 

• Hudson Yard's "Lone Ranger"

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#23643  by jmchitvt

Several months ago I posted the article that only one (1) former L&H employee hired on to Norfolk Southern when it absorbed their portion of Conrail - the article got dropped in March when this site was rebuilt. Someone in the L&H group knew who it was but because of privacy didn't want to reveal the name.

And this had made me think of when the L&H had but one employee west of Great Meadows, other than trainmen or occasional trackmen. He was "Dub" Thatcher and he was stationed at Hudson Yard when I was around in the 1950's and early 60's. He looked over the switches and the yard tracks for problems and the "oil house" was his shelter.

Just a little, proabaly little known fact, about our little L&H.
 #559112  by philipmartin

I worked second trick at G tower from 1960 to 1964, and again briefly in 1972 when it closed; and I don't remember the L&H employing a trackman for Hudson Yard. It strikes me as unlikely that they would pay someone to tighten the bolts at just that one location and on their bridge over the Delaware river. But I suppose somebody had to do it, and I suppose he worked first trick. I suppose he would have needed permission from the operator at G before going out on the bridge. G worked with the operator at PU, the CNJs Phillipsburg tower authorizing moves over the bridge, and with the yardmaster at the Lehigh Valley''s Richards Yard and Easton tower.
Philip Martin