Railroad Forums 

• Andover Area Question

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#223829  by David Hutchinson

Was driving north on Route 206 through Andover and made the right to go out towards L:imecrest. There is a road on the right, Old Creamery Road. Just past it, there are cuts to the left of the road off the main and a cut to the right that both appear to be old roadbed. Was there an industry of some type in this area? Marty, are you out there?

#223843  by David

The old L&HR is to your left. It becomes active again in Limecrest. Perhaps there was a spur going to a creamery in that area--Marty, any more?

#223924  by David Hutchinson

The supposed spur comes off the L&H and heads north across the road and through a cut. It might be coincidental that the road is names Creamery, but maybe there was one there. The siding would have to have been served by a southbound train.
 #224046  by purplezep

Marty's right. This path is from the old Sussex Mine RR. It went to Andover Mine. It opened it August 1851 and cretaed a path for iron to be brought from the Andover Mine to the Morris Canal system in Waterloo. From here the ore was brought to Phillipsburg to be smelted, then travelled further to Trenton, to be rolled into rail. It started out as a narrow gauge track, with power being supplied by mules. The rail that came back from Trenton was then used to lay track for locomotives. This whole enterprise was started by Abraham Hewitt and Peter Cooper.
It's amazing that this ROW still exists after so much time. Andover has marked this region as a historical site.

#224315  by David Hutchinson

If I take the path right off the road, how far up does it go and are there any artifacts around? Thanks out there....
 #224372  by purplezep

Dave,
Not sure what's up there. Of course the mine is, I think they blocked it off/filled it in though according to articles I've read. There was a no trespassing sign on the chain blocking the path so I never ventured up there. Around 1848, Abraham Hewitt supposedly found some pig iron from the 1700's lying in the bushes, and was impressed with the quality.It's owned by Aeroflex, which is right near there on Limecrest Road.Supposedly that RR (Sussex Mine)only lasted 3 years, then turned into Sussex Railroad.The mines were very productive, the concentration of the ore was unique in composition, which led to a stronger type of steel. Andover put out a pamphlet, believe it was for a centennial, that talked about the mines. I believe I read about it at Sussex County Library in Wantage, NJ. Also, there is an Andover Historical Society that meets once a month. I'm sure they would have additional info.
Paul
 #227182  by purplezep

Mike, thanks for the info. I've enjoyed your pictures. Did you graduate from Morris Knolls? I'm currently collecting pictures of the L&HR for a project/book. Do you have any pictures of old stations?
 #228423  by mikedc3

purplezep wrote:Mike, thanks for the info. I've enjoyed your pictures. Did you graduate from Morris Knolls? I'm currently collecting pictures of the L&HR for a project/book. Do you have any pictures of old stations?
Your welcome, Thanks, yes, no.