Railroad Forums 

• RAILS TO TRAILS

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#221994  by purplezep

While I think it's a great idea to formally preserve the ROW of the LH&R, my worries are that existing historic structures will be demolished or removed. These include mileposts, battery boxes, signal towers, foundations, telegraph poles/lines, as well as railroad ties still laying on the bed. I'm currently in the process of documenting all remaining structures in the NJ section of the LH&R for a pictorial history of the line. It would be a great loss if the remaining structures were not considered part of the restoration of the right of way. Part of the charm of this line is that it still contains all these structures as you walk through the scenic landscape. This was such an important line and such a historic one.
I've already contacted the state DEP with my concerns about these issues and am waiting for a call back.
I'm totally for the conversion, part of the reason for doing my book was to raise awareness to preserve this great tract of land. I just want to make sure we preserve everything we possibly can for future generations to enjoy.
If anyone is interested in joining me, I'd like to start a committee or team to get involved with the state in preserving what we can of this beautiful line.
This is a great forum, I'm hoping to hear from some of you!
Paul

#222018  by RussNelson

The Rails to Trails Conservancy has a book on creating a rail trail. I highly recommend it. The sooner you start an organization, the more likely it is that you can preserve the history. I live too far from you to help and I have my own local trail to work on: http://rutlandtrail.org/.
 #222607  by David

purplezep wrote: I'm totally for the conversion, part of the reason for doing my book was to raise awareness to preserve this great tract of land. I just want to make sure we preserve everything we possibly can for future generations to enjoy.
If anyone is interested in joining me, I'd like to start a committee or team to get involved with the state in preserving what we can of this beautiful line.
Great to organize a committee. I support such a committee. I only wish I could be part of, but since I live in Naples, Florida, and only get up that way twice a year; it would be next to impossible to make the meetings. I have covered that ROW entirely. There are many artifacts. The signal structures are amazingly intact for the most part on the whole ROW, as Mikedc3 can verify. Good luck with this and please keep us informed about your progress.
Last edited by David on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #236796  by purplezep

I've spoken with a few people involved with the state's recent purchase of the 9 miles of L&HR in NJ. Again my concern was destruction of existing artifacts that remain on the ROW. The contract for clearing and maintaining the trail/ROW went to Kittatinny State Park commission. Unfortunately, they do not know any more than what the papers have stated already. They are not aware yet of which exact tracts in which towns were purchased. Furthermore, as of right now, there are insufficient funds and manpower to began conversion to trails. The Kittatinny State Park Commission were definitely all for saving whatever structures could be saved if funds were sufficient. They stated it has taken 10+ years in the past to actually convert rails to trails, and that they typically clear 10 foot wide/10 foot tall pathways. This would certainly leave enough room to preserve mile markers, whistle posts, signal towers, etc. As I stated before I'm totally for exposing these beautiful trails, would just like for other people to enjoy some of the history as well. I've volunteered my time once funds are sufficient and will do all that is possible for 1 fan to do to preserve the artifacts and history. I've pretty much documented all current artifacts from Foul Rift to Sparta, (as well as Sparta-Dekays)but new ones seem to appear almost weekly as foliage patterns change, or as historians/friends inform me of past structures. As soon as I can round up a few more pictures of structures before demolition/abolition, I will share them in book/picture/DVD form with anyone interested.

#236880  by NJ Vike

I've also covered most of the L&HR, where possible, and have a great interest in this as well.

Please let me know what I can do to help. I belong to the Sussex Train Club where we even have a person that did work for the L&HR so we can get additional support.

I think a rail trail would be great providing they do leave items. That would give those that have not seen the area a chance.

Ken