Railroad Forums 

• What's left around Greycourt and Maybrook?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#11302  by wess

There was someone in the railfan.net forum posted a link to a photo page showing the old dlw and lhr row,s. I was wondering if someone had decided to do something like that from greycourt to maybrook

#11482  by rfalcone

This sounds like a great idea to me!!!

#51819  by David

Was told on the New Jersey Railfan Forum that tank cars are being stored on what is left of the L&HR line south of Sparta Junction by the Limecrest quarry. Can anyone confirm this or get some pictures? (Mike you out there?)--Thanks

#52295  by mikedc3

Yup they are there. I've seen em while out on my bike. No pics Dave, maybe after the leaves are down when I go back out exploring. I think the tanks are for the new customer near Spatra Jct. I've been by there 2-3 times this summer and the tanks are on the LnHR main just west of the first grade crossing west of SJ, there were 5-6 each time.

#53986  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Was told on the New Jersey Railfan Forum that tank cars are being stored on what is left of the L&HR line south of Sparta Junction by the Limecrest quarry. Can anyone confirm this or get some pictures? (Mike you out there?)--Thanks
Dave,

Yes, they were there and they use this from time-to-time

If you want to see these pictures of the NYS&W/L&HR line, just let me know.

This summer I was busy walking the ROWs on the Hanford, Hainesburgh and Middletown and Unionville area and the Southern Seconday of Conrail and CNJ through the pines.

It was fun but I still have so much more to discover.

Ken

#54041  by David

Ken--I heard that there were still tracks from Middletown to Unionville by the NJ-NY boarder. Is this true?---Would like to see the entrance of the Quarry where the tracks go in (Limecrest). When I was there three years ago, it looked like they had not been used for many years. Is this still true? Since you live in Sparta, I guess you know the area well!---Thanks

#54080  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Ken--I heard that there were still tracks from Middletown to Unionville by the NJ-NY boarder. Is this true?---Would like to see the entrance of the Quarry where the tracks go in (Limecrest). When I was there three years ago, it looked like they had not been used for many years. Is this still true? Since you live in Sparta, I guess you know the area well!---Thanks
Yes, it's true. I also have some pictures of this area showing the tracks on the M&U and also saw the foundation for a water tower there.

I have many shots of the Limecrest area. Lime Crest has changed hands several times. The most recent owner is Crest Aggregates. Hopefully, the will use the NYS&W :-D Hey, I can dream can't I??

I will post my shots on this area as well as the Franklin-Ogdensburg are soon.

Also, there's a pretty good L&HR book by Jim Boyd and Tracy Antz that shows several nice shots of the L&HR on the Lime Crest property making deliveries so you may want to look into that. The book is just called the Lehigh and Hudson River.

Ken

#54221  by David

Also, there's a pretty good L&HR book by Jim Boyd and Tracy Antz that shows several nice shots of the L&HR on the Lime Crest property making deliveries so you may want to look into that. The book is just called the Lehigh and Hudson River

Is that the relatively new book that came out in 2002 and cost about $50? I think I have seen it on E-bay several times---

There is a good possibility that I will be investigating the line from Limecrest to Warwick NY this Xmas with Mike DiMunno. Perhaps you can give us a tour of Sparta Junction :-) --Thanks

#54282  by wess

I have that book. Its very good too. Had to pack it away, but there was a lot in there that had me impressed about this little railroad and the folks who ran it.

#54421  by NJ Vike

David wrote: Also, there's a pretty good L&HR book by Jim Boyd and Tracy Antz that shows several nice shots of the L&HR on the Lime Crest property making deliveries so you may want to look into that. The book is just called the Lehigh and Hudson River

Is that the relatively new book that came out in 2002 and cost about $50? I think I have seen it on E-bay several times---

There is a good possibility that I will be investigating the line from Limecrest to Warwick NY this Xmas with Mike DiMunno. Perhaps you can give us a tour of Sparta Junction :-) --Thanks
David,

Yes, that's the book and you can purchase it from Morningsun books at:

http://morningsunbooks.com/ Here's the exact link: http://morningsunbooks.com/northeastcat ... In%20Color

Unfortunately, Sparta Jct is unreachable; lawfully that is :-( There are two companies that have service there in that area. Once is Eastern Propane and the other is some new carbonation company. I have asked Eastern Propane in the past if I could watch as the NYS&W was getting the cars ready before leaving. I went a second time but was denied. I guess it depends on who you ask. If you give me a certain time and date, I can puruse this with Eastern Propane. The worst they can do is say no.

We can however, look at the surrounding areas in Sparta including the station which still exists and the Franklin and Ogdensburg area.

In Warwick, you can still see the former L&HR office and there is a caboose or two in the area

Ken

#54422  by NJ Vike

wess wrote:I have that book. Its very good too. Had to pack it away, but there was a lot in there that had me impressed about this little railroad and the folks who ran it.
Unfortunately, it was so small that it's hard to find any other books or videos on it :-(

Still, a nice railroad.

Ken

#67941  by gravelyfan

I saw a report somewhere online that there is still rail activity using the long spur at Greycourt that comes off the L&H and goes down to the yard area along the former Erie Main Line. Can anyone local confirm this? I believe a tank car was seen there.

#68336  by mikedc3

You can watch the action at Sparta Jct from the begining of the PKV trail. It ends at the Jct.

Now that the leaves are down, The Harley will be put away soon and I have a new 4X4 truck, I will be back out exploring soon.

#68381  by NJ Vike

mikedc3 wrote:You can watch the action at Sparta Jct from the begining of the PKV trail. It ends at the Jct.

Now that the leaves are down, The Harley will be put away soon and I have a new 4X4 truck, I will be back out exploring soon.
Let me know if you're interested in having someone tag along.

You can also get reports of when the NYS&W passes by joining their Yahoo group.

Ken
 #93700  by gawlikfj

Maybrook Yard is one track with the old light tower still there.
The remains of the Ice house are still there along with the Office Building & base of the Water tower and hundreds of rail spikes liter the ground that once had over 50 miles of track.