Railroad Forums 

• Return the park to downtown Sayre. - an idea for the future.

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#86234  by scottychaos

Hey everyone,
this is an idea I have been kicking around for..well, for decades!
I was just emailing Greg about the status of the Sayre Historical Society's LV U-boat, and places where trains can be displayed in Sayre, and I mentioned this idea to him..then I thought, why not make it public!

I have always hated the fact that Sayre got rid of that beautiful park right in front of the station to built that ugly NewBerry's building in its place..what a waste!
im sure at the time it was "progress".. :(
suppose, just suppose, that the store became empty,
Sayre buys the plot, tears down the building and RESTORES the park!! :)
it could happen!
things like that are happening all over the US..
would really improve the look of downtown Sayre..nice park, trees, flowers, a fountain, sidewalks, bandstand, benches etc..
maybe a mural along the side of the Packer ave. bridge.
would be an amazing example of "downtown beautification"..and wouldnt be difficult to do at all..

imagine walking out of one of the stores on Desmond street, and instead of facing the ugly blue wall of newberrys, you have a park across the street! with the restored Sayre station showing through the trees..

The park was destroyed, and NewBerry's built sometime in the early 1960's..
(anyone know when exactly? im guessing 1960-1964..)
the store was empty for awhile when NewBerry's went out of buisiness..
and now there is a "Dollar store" in the building..
im not suggesting a viable business be forced to move!
only that IF the building should become empty again someday (which is likely), then consider this idea!

Downtown Sayre has undergone some fantastic restoration lately!
the Wilbur hotel and the Sayre station look beautiful now!
I think restoring that park would be a HUGE benefit to downtown!
and the loss of retail space wouldnt be a concern..there are already plenty of empty storefronts downtown..

Even though I dont live in the Valley anymore, Its still my "hometown" and I love it!
My parents are still in Waverly, and I visit often..
I was born in Sayre! its my town..
im all-for anything to improve it!
restoring that park might even help to return some business to downtown, away from the black-hole of Walmart and Elmira street..

thoughts? :-D
im going to look for photos of the park..if anyone has any, please post them!

thanks,
Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#86249  by scottychaos

Here is the spot I am talking about:

this postcard is looking south down Desmond street, from near Lockhart.
the park is on he left, and the Sayre station is just out of the shot on the left side.

here is a good shot of the original park!
probably 1940's..

Scot

#86300  by keeper1616

isnt there a dollar store type place there?

#86308  by scottychaos

keeper1616 wrote:isnt there a dollar store type place there?
yes, there is..I said in the first post:

"the store was empty for awhile when NewBerry's went out of buisiness..
and now there is a "Dollar store" in the building..
im not suggesting a viable business be forced to move!
only that IF the building should become empty again someday (which is likely), then consider this idea."

#86320  by keeper1616

and if i read the post instead of just looking at the pretty pictures :) I would not look stupid :)
 #86410  by jmp883

I, too, was born in Sayre and still have much family living there. I was born in 1964 and my earliest memories are from a few years after that. I do remember the Newberry's building already being there, but it would be great to see a park put there.

Furthermore, erect a plaque that pays homage to all the railroad workers who made their living in Sayre over the years so that the current generation of Sayre residents will understand where their town came from and that the empty areas that used to be bustling yards and shops are not just vacant land or an eyesore.

I'd love to see it happen!

Joe P :-D
 #86693  by jmp883

Joshuahouse,

Well......shows how much I go back home! Especially with the amount of family I still have in Sayre. What's really embarassing is that I don't even live 3 hrs. away!

Anyway, thanks for the update. It's nice to see someone had the foresight to honor those who came before........

Joe P

#87359  by NYSW3614

Sorry for reaching beyond the topic of this thread but what the heck is that tank engine! Never seen that before? Anyone got better photos?

#87399  by scottychaos

NYSW3614 wrote:Sorry for reaching beyond the topic of this thread but what the heck is that tank engine! Never seen that before? Anyone got better photos?
yeah, isnt that cool?
and the 2-10-2 is quite an interesting machine as well..
the 2-10-2's worked the coal mine branches, and the LV later converted them into 2-8-2's..
with LV mikado photos, you can always tell which ones were converted from the 2-10-2's because they kept that huge clunky firebox under the cab, and that notch cut out of the lower corner of the cab..
very distinctive.

the photo isnt clear enough to get a number on the tank engine,
but here are a few more of the type..

and it looks like the engine in the photo with the 2-10-2 could be this one, 3359:

#1076133  by TB Diamond

Is the small bank situated just to the west of the Newberry building closed as well?

This is a great proposal. Can well recall the controversy created by the demise of the park and the construction of the Newberry building.