• Why did LVRR use CNJ?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by carajul

I have lots of pics of Lehigh Gap in the 1970s (after CNJ departure but before conrail) and the LVRR was using both their mainline and the ex-CNJ mainline for running thru freights. My questions is...why? It was duplicate trackage to Lehighton. Didn't this just equal double trackage and tax costs?

A few more questions...

1. The CNJ actually leased their line from the L&S (owned by the LC&N Co). When the lease was up in '72 they decided not to renew. When the LV took over and then CR did they resign a lease or did they buy the land from the LC&N Co?

2. The LVRR mainline from A'town to Lehighton was not torn out until '84. Does anyone know when the last train to use it was?

3. Does anyone know when the operations of the Packerton car shops were closed? And the yard? I know the popular answer is '72 but I have a video of a freight rolling thru Packerton Yard in 1969 and it looks like half the yard was covered in a blanket of weeds and unused.

by 56-57

The Central side had some good customers... NJ Zinc, the cement mills, etc... Also, Allentown yard doesn't do much good if you're only running on the Valley side. Closing down the yard in Lehighton wouldn't have been possible unless the Valley got to use the ex CNJ to Allentown.

The L&S was bought by the Reading Co. in 1962, leased to LC&N, and sublet to the Jersey Central. When Conrail came along, none of that really mattered anymore. I don't know how or when the LC&N bowed out.

I don't know when the last train ran on the Valley.

March 26, 1973, i believe.

mike

by Trackbolt

I have some information that might help. I will focus on trackage between Allentown and Whitehaven in the Lehigh Gorge. The LV and CNJ both built heavy duty double track lines up the Lehigh Valley between White Haven and Allentown Pa to handle the tremendous anthracite traffic. The Lehigh Valley's was the best engineered. As anthracite declined, passengers and general freight shifted to the highways both roads found out that there was not enough traffic volume to sustain such a physical plant and the once mighty mainlines became an anchor tied to a swimmer's ankle.
As you are probably aware, by the 1960's both the LV and the CNJ were in dire financial shape. In 1965 the LV and CNJ reached an agreement to consolidate their operations between Lehighton and White Haven in the Lehigh Gorge. This allowed the CNJ to abandon their line between Lehighton and White Haven and run their trains on the LV. A connection was built at Lehighton to connect the two mainlines. The LV also phased out frieght classification operations, and car repairs at Packerton in favor of their main facility in Sayre PA during this time. Packerton became little more than a crew change point.
The CNJ filed their final Bankrupcy in 1967 and were operating under chapter 11 (reorganization) The LV Filed Chapter 11 right after the Penn Central in 1970. In 1972, as part of the "Blueprint for survival the CNJ was given permission to end operations in Pennsylvania. The Lehigh Valley was appointed as operator of the CNJ's Pennsylvania Lines. The CNJ line had the most online customers and this line was used in favor of the LV's line across the river. The LV main was single tracked and downgraded almost immediatly. When Conrail took over in 1976 through freight service on the LV main between Allentown and Lehighton was embargoed. Most of the track was pulled up beginning around 1981. Service on the CNJ between Allentown and Lehighton line continues to this day operated by NS, BMR, CN. These roads also travel up the Lehigh Gorge on the former LV main between Lehighton and Whitehaven.

Trackbolt
  by geep39

Trackbolt's account is essentially correct, and here are a few other tidbits:
Conrail lifted the rail on the LV side from Lehighton to Allentown and the rail (heavy 132 lb stuff) was sold to KCS as "relay" rail. There were rumors that the D&H wanted to take that line over, and that was enough to get it ripped up. Also, it was the way Conrail made its money--selling scrap. The only railroad that actually "serves" the CNJ is NS, who runs a local to deliver cars to the mill at Treichlers, and the Zinc Co. of America at Palmerton, not to mention some BM&R/Carbon & Schuylkill interchange at Packerton yard. The CP runs through on the old D&H trackage rights granted as competition to Conrail, and CN units show up on 40T and 41T
the soon-to-be-discontinued NS pool train to Buffalo. BM&R units don't go south of Packerton.

by CNJFAN

After the 1976 Conrail takeover, what year were the through freights no longer run on the CNJ mainline?
I do recall some years afterward, but I don't recall how many exactly.
  by IRN750

The LV track from Lehighton to Fullerton Pa was not torn out until 1986 and was used at times until 1983 west of Cementon to Lehighton.LV rail was 136 lb rail. The LV continued to use this side to By-pass Allentown yard mainly for its appollos and mercury piggyback trains or later on Conrail when there was trackwork on the L&S between Allentown and Lehighton. The LV side was also used for coke trains out of the Bethlehem Steel plant for their Lackawanna plant in 1981. The CNJ main east of Bethlehem to Easton was taken oot of service soon after the LV takeover of CNJ opertions in 1972 except from Bethlehem to Freemansburg and West Easton to Easton to service local customers. The CNJ main from Laurel Run to Ashley was taken out of service after the new connection was built to the D&H at Dupont in April or May of 1973. I don't remember when the rail was torn up on either of these portions.

by CNJFAN

What about all the way to Elizabethport?
What year did that cease if you happen to know?

by Andyt293

CNJ from Ashley to Laurel Run was taken out sometime after 1978.

by CNJFAN

What about the C&O that went to Staten Island Via Cranford JCT?