Railroad Forums 

• LV passenger station, Canastota NY?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#880712  by lvrr325

Based on my 1959 blueprint showing the pre-elevation track arrangement in Canastota, the LV had seperate frieght and passenger stations, the latter located between the NYC and West Shore mains in a spot that today would be covered in earth as part of the elevated right-of-way for the current main line, in the stretch where the former EC&N line ran in an east-to-west orientation between the two lines, and west of Peterboro Street.

Anyone know of photos or even drawings of this building? The map I have has it's basic dimensions, but that's all. I did find a photo of the frieght station among the prints sold by one of the dealers who goes to train shows with the books of 8x10 black and white photos, so I would imagine it's possible one of the passenger station is also out there.

This building would be different from the original NYC station which remains today - the NYC station was to the north of the NYC main and to the east of Peterboro St.; the LV station's track formed a 5th track to the south of the NYC main and the station was south of those tracks. In fact toward the end the LV sold the track out front to the NYC, this is what my map was made to note.

For those not familiar, the EC&N made a roughly 90' curve at the north end of the Canastota yard, crossing the West Shore at grade, with northbound traffic going directly east. After crossing Peterboro St. the tracks climbed up and curved back northward to cross the NYC main line via an overpass, and remained elevated to cross the Erie Canal and Canal Rd. The abutment for the south side of the canal overpass remains today, as did the north abutment for the NYC main overpass and some of the fill in Terraserver Birds' Eye photos when I checked last year. However a large payloader was visible in the photos and some earthmoving had been done, it appeared the remaining siding on the original NYC ROW was covered in a spot.

When the NYC elevated it's mainline here about 1961, the elevation was built roughly on the West Shore grade, presumably to allow uninterrupted operation on the mainline; if one studies maps/sattelite photos, a distinct dip to the south is obvious. At that time the LV was rerouted to a much sharper curve to follow the south side of the elevation (remnants of this remain obvious) and it connected to the main in the same area as the remaining siding on the north side does today. This eliminated the by then abandoned grade south of the original main line.
 #880736  by lvrr325

Google gave me this link showing pages from an old law book covering the case of Heffron v. NYC&HRR Co.:

http://books.google.com/books?id=JvIKAA ... on&f=false

According to it, "the depot is used in common by the railroads mentioned" those being the NYC&HRR, LV and West Shore. I've forgotten now, maybe the remaining NYC structure was also a frieght station.

FWIW, the case is a liability case where the parents of a girl described in one place as an infant, and in another as being 18 years of age, tripped over a wire suspended 9" over the ground in a grassy, landscaped area near the depot, when cutting across the area in the dark. Appears the case originally found in favor of the plaintiffs, but was ordered to be retried in this record.

Looks like I answered my own question:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/c ... rr-1906-ny

There's an old postcard. You can even see a trolley or train on the West Shore, behind, and what looks like it must be the LV between the depot and the NYC mainline.