Railroad Forums 

• LV Genesee River Bridge - back "in service"

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#60853  by FarmallBob

The main (river) span of the former LV Genesee River bridge is back in service! It now carries the Lehigh Valley Trail over the river to it’s intersection with the Genesee Valley Greenway in Caledonia.

The approx 1,300 ft long original bridge/trestle carried the LV main over the PRR's Rochester Branch, the Genesee River and the flats east of the river. All but the river span was cut up in the late 80’s.

This spring construction began on wood deck walkway through the lower level of the span. (The original structure is a top-deck truss – the railroad ran on the TOP of the bridge.) Then earth ramps were built at both ends to bring the trail to the level of the new deck.

Punch below for a brief album of photos taken before, during and after construction of the new trail deck:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIn ... 0073501&f=

...FB
Last edited by FarmallBob on Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#60858  by scottychaos

I already said this on the NY forum, but I will repeat it here..

"WOW"! :-D :-D

#62022  by chnaus

Nice pictures Bob. I am surprised to see that it was built as
explained to me two years ago. They claimed,then,that it could
carry horses, and it appears to be sturdy enough to perform
that task, although the horses may not see it that way.

I would like to see part of the upper deck made into an
observation platform. Great place to get wildlife shots.

This section and the others that are gone were constructed
around 1916 when the original bridge was strengthened.
Traffic continued without any delays other than slow orders,
they installed a gantlet track to give more space for the work
going on.

#62590  by FarmallBob

Chnaus – do you know of the existence of any information (engineering drawings, photos, written descriptions, etc) of the construction of this bridge?

I was under the impression that it was erected in 1891 – 92 in essentially it’s present form - was not aware it had been modified/strengthened in the mid-teen’s. However I notice the elevation drawing of bridge (reproduced on the interpretive sign at the Greenway junction) clearly shows the bridge crossing the river in 2 spans with a stone center pier located at mid-stream. Is this drawing how the original structure appeared?

Incidentally I agree with you about an observation platform on the upper level of the truss – once you make the climb up to the top the view is great!! Unfortunately in today’s litigious society a deck on top is about as likely as the Bills winning the next Super Bowl...

...FB

#64957  by chnaus

Have you seen the 8 foot long framed print on display in the
depot at Industry ?? This is the new bridge.
The 1891 print exists,I have seen it,but I am not at liberty
to quote its whereabouts. It may be on display next year
as well.

#65842  by FarmallBob

Have you seen the 8 foot long framed print on display in the
depot at Industry ??

I stopped in at the museum for Diesel Days but never made it inside the depot. Will make it a point to get back over there to see the drawing.

Incidentally I too saw the 1891 LV bridge elevation print in it's "undisclosed location" several years ago. Would like to see it on display someday! ...FB

#65982  by nessman

FarmallBob wrote:Incidentally I too saw the 1891 LV bridge elevation print in it's "undisclosed location" several years ago. Would like to see it on display someday! ...FB
Why the big secret?

#191509  by brockportman

does anyone have any old pics of this bridge before it was dismantled? id love to see them.
 #191658  by TB Diamond

Walked across the Genesee River bridge a few times when it was intact. Photographed the A&K Track Materials truck picking up rail on the east end of the trestle 12/77. Sad to see the entire Wadsworth Jct. area so totally gone along with most of the bridge. Great to know that the bridge remnant is "back in service", however.