Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley Tugboats

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#515762  by Nova55

Scot,

VERY nice photo!! Thats the best colorized one I have seen! One minor suggesting: Theres a black stripe around the wheelhouses you can faintly make out..The stripe didn't seem to last long on the tugs..

As for the Wilkes Barre: The Moran Julia C. became the Puerto and is down there, HOWEVER...according to George Barrett on the Tug group, the LV Julia C. is still in Moran Documentation but not on there active roster...gonna have to do some more searching..

Check your email..

Paul

#515791  by CAR_FLOATER

Scot -

See, when the rail-marine bug bites, it bites HARD!

I can provide you with detailed info, pre-WW1 on everything you listed, some with photos.

Ralph
 #515937  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="pjb"]I believe you will find that the Daniel Willard in group photo at the Cape is a B&O vessel. :-D
Good-Luck, pjb[/quote]

That's a negatory, Big Ben....The B&O did not partake in the New England (in this particular referenced photo, Martha's Vinyard) coal by schooner barge trade.
Mr. Willard, while being most remembered for his role as B&O President, originally cut his teeth on the Erie.
Seriously, if you have proof stating otherwise, I welcome the corrected data.

Thanks,

CF

#516005  by scottychaos

Thanks Paul and Ralph,

"One minor suggesting: Theres a black stripe around the wheelhouses you can faintly make out..The stripe didn't seem to last long on the tugs."

Paul,
where exactly is this stripe?
it doesnt help that I dont know what the "wheelhouse" is! ;)

thanks,
Scot

#516019  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="scottychaos"]
it doesnt help that I dont know what the "wheelhouse" is! ;)
thanks,
Scot[/quote]

Scot -

LOL! Sorry, but you put a smile on my face with that one...I keep foregetting we R-M guys have to deal with a special lexicon with our equipment.

The wheelhouse is aka the pilot house - The place where you steer the boat from, where the ships wheel is (do you see the connection?)

The mystery black stripe can just be made out on your photo....See the faint line about half way down the wheelhouse that tapers as it goes towards the bow (front) of the wheelhouse? THAT was the black stripe Paul mentioned. As Paul said, these didn't last long, and the only tug I have ever seen pictures of with a stripe (other than the posed picture you colorized, which leads me to belive it might have been an early version of Photoshop, long before there ever was a Photoshop) was the Wilkes-Barre, the class tug. Maybe Preston Cook knows for sure.

After looking thru my LV book collection last night, I see there are a lot of vintage marine craft to account for......Your list is going to take some time, and be pretty big when it's all done. You know to be through, you really should cover the entire marine department, and not just the tugs, right? LOL......

Ralph

#518065  by scottychaos

A question for youse East Enders..

im working on my "LV Marine" page..I have North Fair Haven and Tifft Terminal about finished..now im working on New York...clearly the most complicated! ;)

I have the names of most of the terminals around the city, and now im working on a map of the area..

about the terminals connected by Rail to the LV system:

Perth Amboy
Jersey City (Morris Canal site)
Claremont terminal
National Docks terminal

those are obvious terminals..
but what about Oak Island??
was there an actual waterfront terminal at Oak Island?
or was Oak Island a "rail only" facility?

thanks,
Scot

#518176  by CAR_FLOATER

Scot -

Expect a longer e-mail from regarding things sometime later today, but for now.......

No, Oak Island doesn't really count as a waterfront terminal, though it was in the Harbor Terminal area. It was just the classification yard at the east end of the RR. All "maintrackers" eneded their runs here, and frieght for Claremont Term, the Nat. Docks, and Washington St, etc, was moved east (or west) on what the LV called "pullouts".

As referenced above, the yard in Jersey City proper (the float yard) was called Washington Street Yard, as the yard office was located here. I have also heard it refered to as Johnston Ave, but I'll stick with Washington St.
Almost all lighterage was done from here.

Also, if you are going for an "all inclusive" list, don't forget Constable Hook - This was where the LV's original ore unloading facility was before they built the pair at Claremont Terminal. Also, the LV's grain elevator was at Black Tom (Nat. Docks).

All for now,

Ralph

#518258  by Nova55

Dont forget Oak Island was the lead into Greenville Yard of the NY Bay Railroad (PRR), which was one if not the biggest Rail-Marine terminals in the harbor, Still in use today.

Back to the black stripe..On this shot of the Cornell you can see it also just under the name board.

Also of note that I totally forgot about, was the lettering and on top of the bitts was yellow, not white, unles it was different as delivered.

Paul

#518334  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="Nova55"]Dont forget Oak Island was the lead into Greenville Yard of the NY Bay Railroad (PRR), which was one if not the biggest Rail-Marine terminals in the harbor, Still in use today.
Paul[/quote]

Ahh, now Paul, we are getting into the wonderful world of semantics here.....

If you want to talk PRR (how IS Greenville Yard coming along, by the way? LOL!), Garden Yard or Waverly would be the yard equivalent to Oak Island.

However, though Oak Island is certainly a part of the R-M "scheme of things", it's not really "correct" to lump it into the marine "habitat", since it didn't have docks, float bridges, and whatnot....

Just my two cents,

Ralph

#518347  by Nova55

Greenville is doing good...Lots of things in the works. Big changes going on there.

Yes, your right about Oak Island though. Now Oak Point on the other hand.....
:wink: :-D

#520036  by scottychaos

mxdata wrote:Cleveland Diesel also did a colorized version of the Lehigh Vally four tug lineup, shown here:

http://tugboatenthusiastsociety.org/Pag ... oad-01.htm
Thats not an original color version..
that is someone else's digital colorizing attempt of the original B&W photo..
same as mine.

unless you mean Cleveland Diesel colorized it way back when?
a hand-tinted black & white?
maybe..but I doubt it..
the colors are far too vivid and saturated for that.
im 99% sure its a fairly recent digital colorizing by a fan..
its good! but I doubt its "vintage"..

Scot

#520054  by Nova55

Tycol Oil also used the B&W of that photo in there magazine advertisements.

#520096  by GOLDEN-ARM

We did this once, already. Here's a partial listing;

Here is a list, of docks, terminals and stations, in the NYC area, from my 1908, LV map of the New York City area:

* Black Tom National Dock Storage
*Communipaw Ave. Yard
*Jersey City Terminal A.K.A. Claremont Terminal
*Grand St. Storage & Transfer Yard
There are 2 other facilities, but cannot read the names, due to age/condition of linen map. The NYC side of the river includes these terminals:

*69th St. Bay Ridge Transfer
*Bush Docks and Independent Storage Yard
*Erie Basin Terminal
*Atlantic Yard and Terminal
*Red Hook Terminal
*Baltic Terminal
*Fulton Terminal
*Jay Street Terminal
*Washington Avenue Bridge Terminal
*Brooklyn East Docks Terminal
*Greenpointe Avenue
*Pot Cove Terminal, Astoria
*Harlem River Station Terminal
*124th Street Terminal
*43rd Street Terminal
*Piers 2&3, Manhattan
*Pier 44, east of Christopher Street
*Pier 66
*West 27th Street Terminal & Yards
There are at least two more LVRR yards/terminals, that cannot be read, again, due to condition of this linen map. This was just the list, from 1908. The Valley cultivated other interchanges/terminals/piers through the years, and a review of a map, from perhaps every five years, would show the differences, unless someone has an "all time" listing of piers, terminals and yards, throughout the history of the LVRR, in the metro NYC area. It is important to remember, the Valley had a saltwater terminal, in it's original run across NJ. This terminus was in Perth Amboy, NJ, directly on Raritan Bay. With it's piers, and facilities located there, and a giant coal storage facility in South Plainfield, this was the original mainline of the Valley, for many years, until it's acquisition of the Morris Canal, and it's stake in the National Docks Railroad. It's hard to admit, but the DL&W Gladstone branch was also the originally planned route, across NJ. It's hard to imagine the Valley running along the current M&E DL&W route, across the state, from Gladstone to Hoboken.............Regards,

Here's where we originally did it at: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24676

#520119  by mxdata

The colorized version of the four boat Lehigh Valley lineup that TES has on their website was in fact the cover shot on the Cleveland Diesel Times, the internal plant newspaper, Volume 8 Number 5, May 1951. TES has it correctly identified. I do not know what technique Cleveland Diesel used to produce it.

MX