Railroad Forums 

• LV on YouTube

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#608035  by Kendaia1

I just came across a video clip on YouTube of the last day of work for an engineer on the Black Diamond named Jim Lantz, from 1955. He rides in on the 613, a short clip of the train is there and then pleasantries are exchanged with family and other LV employees. Looks to me like it is in Sayre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk7iDeyjU7k
 #608581  by toolmaker

Slightly filmed before I was born (barely) and worth watching. Only the addition of sound would have made it better. The engineer wearing a tie to work and men walking around the crowd smoking cigars. A good time had by all.
 #883483  by PassRailSavesFuel

toolmaker wrote:Slightly filmed before I was born (barely) and worth watching. Only the addition of sound would have made it better. The engineer wearing a tie to work and men walking around the crowd smoking cigars. A good time had by all.
The shame is....Today the "Black Diamond" would be as popular as other long distance Amtrak trains. It is no longer a surprize to find trains sold out during popular travel times. Now with $4.00 gas as of today Dec 22, 2010 in many places. And airport "Junk" touching. Trains are doing very well. The days of 30 cent gas are gone forever. The "Black Diamond" and a daylight "Interstate Express" should be run again! With coming increases in the price of fuel because of demand from China markets and India the airlines will be history!
 #883529  by scottychaos

yep, its Sayre..
the opening scene shows the locomotive passing under the Packer ave bridge, immediately south of the Sayre passenger station.
(compass south, railroad east) Then the rest of the scene is probably filmed just south of the bridge, where the locomotive stopped..

When that movie was filmed, my Mom was 12 years old and living 2 blocks away!

Scot