Railroad Forums 

• gantry crane, canal freight house, Rochester NY

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#586600  by bluegrass-express

Late 1973 - the Erie Canal freight house remained along the Genesee River, the LV yard was gone. At the suggestion of another member of the NRHS chapter, I made some photos of the gantry crane before it was cut up. View is looking north from near the Ford St bridge and Mount Hope Ave. 2 or 3 years earlier, I found LV 127 along the east side of the freight house.
Present day, there is a paved trail on the former LV roadbed from the University of Rochester up to this point.
 #587120  by scottychaos

Nice photo Bob!
that would be a neat one to do a "rephotographic survey" on! :P
although the crane is far enough from the river that the exact spot you were standing is probably today very near or possibly even *inside* the apartment complex..but still, I might just go check it out anyway!

thanks,
Scot
 #588488  by Otto Vondrak

Great photo, thanks for sharing. Somewhere, I've got some photos that Rich Pearson let me borrow that shows LV activity in this area in the late 1960s.

-otto-
 #588723  by TB Diamond

Otto:

Should recall be correct, some of the slides you mention show the Lehigh Valley Rochester yard crew turning a TOFC on the turntable.

The Lehigh Valley Railroad abandoned the Rochester branch Rochester-U of R in 1972. The LVRR Rochester freight house was partially destroyed by fire during the winter of 1972-1973 and was thereafter demolished.