Railroad Forums 

• Black Diamond Express - 1896 edition.

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#559663  by scottychaos

I have started to do some research on the original edition of the Black Diamond Express, beginning some planning for eventually building a model of the whole train, in 1/32 or 1/29 scale.

The Black Diamond Express made its first run on Monday May 18, 1896.
comprised of two trains - Westbound New York to Buffalo - train No. 9.
and Eastbound Buffalo - New York, train No. 10.

Im going to incorporate all this info into an eventual webpage..so I will start using my color key right now..

Green - Confirmed fact

Orange - Speculation

Red - Question, unknown.

Fact - the LV Ordered Five brand new 4-4-2 Atlantics from Baldwin for the train.
664 - later renumbured 2320
665 - later renumbured 2321
666 - later renumbured 2322
667 - later renumbured 2323
668 - later renumbured 2324

Class F1

Question - Two different driver sizes are listed for these engines, 75.5" and 76.5", dont know which is correct.

Fact - The consist was built by Pullman, and consisted of at least three different types of cars.
a Baggage/Cafe car
Followed by two coaches.
Rear of train is a Parlor/Observation car.

Question - there was likely also a dining car, but I have seen no photo evidence or roster that lists a diner in 1896, only written mention of a diner..but it makes sense that the train would have a diner.
Some sources say the train consisted of "One Baggage/Cafe, two coaches, and an observation.".
Other sources say One Baggage/Cafe, THREE coaches, and an observation.
And some photos show 4 total cars in the consist, other photos show five.

I believe the train had 5 cars..The Baggage/Cafe - Two coaches - One Diner - Observation.
The photo of the train taken 2 days before the first run, with the 4-4-0 "James Donnelly" supports this.
but its not 100% confirmed, because some accounts say "three coaches"..
but it seems logical the train had a diner.
A daylight "luxury train" would definately have a diner.

Speaking of the "James Donnelly",
It is believed this is the first photo of the whole train:
(note 5 cars in the consist..and the 4th car has a different window pattern than the two before it..the 4th car is probably the diner.)
Photo taken 2 days before the inaugural run, Easton, PA
Question, Did the 4-4-0 "James Donnelly" actually operate with the Black Diamond? or was it simply "handy" when the photo was taken?
Perhaps a new 4-4-2 was not available? all unknown.

I have believed that the first runs of the train were operated only with the Five new Atlantics..but this is uncertain.
James Donnelly casts some doubt on that, as does this report:
http://www.enter.net/~lvrr/bd.htm
which tells of the first trainset coming through Geneva the Friday before the inaugural run, with a locomotive that is also not one of the Atlantics..

This train in Geneva was clearly the trainset heading to Buffalo to become the first Eastbound number 10 the following Monday.

So.. Speculation..We have two examples of the train, a few days before the first runs, with locomotives that were not the Atlantics..The photo in Easton, and the newspaper article from Geneva.
Were the five Atlantics late? not arrived in time for the inaugural run? The date of the first run would have been "carved in stone" weeks or months in advance..and in all the papers..so they couldnt delay the first run. the only logical conclusion for not having a brand new high-tech State of the art 4-4-2 to "show off" two or three days before the inaugural runs, is that the Atlantics had not yet arrived, and they had to do the first runs of the train with other locomotives..but this is all pure speculation on my part.

Question - At this point, it is not yet known which specific locomotives hauled the first East and Westbound editions of the Black Diamond Express on May 18, 1896.
Photos probably exist somewhere of the trains on their first day..afterall, it was a big event!

Consist of the 1896 Black Diamond Express.

Believed (most likely) to be 5 cars: One Baggage/Cafe - Two coaches - One Diner - One Parlor/Observation.
But could be: One Baggage/Cafe - Two coaches - One Parlor/Observation.
Or could be: One Baggage/Cafe - Three coaches - One Parlor/Observation.

(I believe that whoever wrote "three coaches", probably back in 1896, mistook the diner for an extra coach)

Baggage/Cafe cars.
Built by Pullman - 1895.

67 feet long.
How many? unknown.
Three confirmed:
416 - in the "James Donnelly" photo.
417 - shown in the publicity photo/painting along the Susquehanna.
418 - Pullman builders photo.

Coaches
Built by Pullman - 1895.

Length? unknown
How many? unknown.

232 - Pullman builders photo, only coach number confirmed so far.

Dining cars
Length? unknown
How many? unknown.

The existance of these cars, in the 1896 consist, has not yet been confirmed.
only evidence is some written accounts, no known photos yet.

Parlor/Observation cars.
Built by Pullman - 1895.

Length? unknown
Confirmed fact - There were three of these cars,
named "Seneca", "Lehigh" and "Ganoga"
Pullman builders photo exists of the "Seneca"

Concerning the famous publicity photo/painting:

I saw at least one on-line source saying that photo/painting depicts the first run of the Black Diamond Express.
this is untrue.
the US Archives date it at 1898, and the numbers on the locomotive dont match the first five Atlantics.

This image exists in several forms..the original photograph shows the locomotive number as No. 675.
this is probably the actual locomotive hauling the train.

Later, this photo was "artistically enhanced" using hand-retouching, the "photoshop" of the late 19th century, depicting the train in more of the style of a painting..the "painting" around the locomotive drivers is especially evident.
The number of the locomotive was changed during this altering of the image, changing the number to No. 2451, which is the number of a LV Atlantic after the 1905 renumburing. So the photo itself probably dates from 1898, and the "painting" is from after 1905.

Anyone know where the original painting resides these days? I believe it still exists..
it hung at the company offices for many years.
and was there perhaps more than one?

I want to do a lot of research on the color scheme of this train..
it was likely an early version of Pullman green.
The locomotives could have either black, or a Baldwin olive green..
I have a lead on the locomotive color scheme..

And thats everything I have so far! :P
Thats about 3 days worth of research..
if anyone has any more info, or knows where data can be found, please let me know!

I have several photos, and a drawing, that I can add to the webpage..

thanks!
Scot

Data sources used so far:
Book - History of the Lehigh Valley Railroad - The Route of the Black Diamond by Robert F. Archer
Book - Rails North - Lehigh Valley Railroad in New York State, Central New York Chapter, National Railway Historical Society.
Book - The Handsomest Trains in the World, Passenger Service on the Lehigh Valley Railroad, by William T. Greeberg, Jr., and Frederick A. Kramer

Jasper N. Haines' Scrapbook
Data for the five Atlantics.

Geneva, NY article, from James Mack's site.

Steam locomotive roster from Lehigh Valley Railroad Modeler.
 #566687  by TB Diamond

Scot:

The following is an article verbatum from The Geneva Times of Friday, 22 May 1896:

"Black Diamond Express"

About 500 of our fellow citizens, of all ages, wended their way to the Lehigh Valley depot last Friday evening to see the new and beautiful express train which was on an experimental trip to Buffalo. As it came to a stop a rush was made to pass through it.

The conductor in charge first admitted the ladies, gents following later. All present had ample opportunity to pass through the four coaches - the combination car of baggage and smoker, then the magnificent dining car with its perfect equipment, then the two day coaches with reading and smoking compartments at either end and lastly the magnificant Pullman Palace coach with its swivel chairs and in the rear an "observation" apartment with open end by which passengers obtain a charming panoramic view of the country as they are whirled along at a speed of a mile a minute. The engine was No. 189 having 69 inch driving wheels. A.W. Nonnemacher, Gen. Pass Agent , was on board. The conductor and train hands, the colored porters and waiters, were assiduous in courteous attention to the inspecting crowd.

The "Black Diamond Express" started Monday last on regular trips between New York and Buffalo, leaving each terminus at noon. Going east it will pass Geneva at 2:09 P.M. and west at 7:45 P.M. Through trips are made in about ten hours. These trains will become very popular, because they traverse the finest scenery in America by daylight.

In addition:

Locomotive No. 189 was a 4-6-0, built 09/1873 at Weatherly, class J-17. Rebuilt at Weatherly 05/1897 to become class J-45. Re# by LVRR in 1905 to 1291, scrapped 12/1909. Named H.S. Goodwin when built in 1873.

R&LHS Bul. No. 126 lists the diameter of drivers on 4-4-2 locomotives class F-1 Nos. 664-668 (2320-2324 after 1905) built 07/1896 as 76.5" which is an error. Diameter should be 75.5".

The newspaper article was forwarded to me by S. King via D.Palmer. All other information above forwarded by S. King.
 #574102  by CarterB

Scot,

What a great web page you have made!! Excellent research and layout, congratulations!!!
 #576237  by kemay59

Scot:

Great work on your Black Diamond Express pages. The original painting of the Black Diamond Express has been donated to the Sayre Historical Society. It is currently being cleaned before going on display at the Sayre station museum. This information was given to me by Peggy Burkhart, a member of the Sayre Historical Society.

Ken May, LVRRHS