• NEW BOOK: Reprint of 1873 Guide to LV

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by GOLDEN-ARM

I just bought another LV book, that I haven't seen before. It's titled "Guide-book of the Lehigh Valley Railroad and Its Several Branches and Connections", and has a publishing date of 2006. Anyone else seen this one yet? Snagged it on eBay, and the place I got it from has 100 copies. Looks like an "in-house" job. Price is right, will post some info when it arrives, unless someone else has some info.

Author: Lyman Coleman
Category: History
Publisher: Scholarly Pub Office Univ. of Michigan
ISBN-10: 1425517013
ISBN-13: 9781425517014
Condition: -- new
Format: Softcover
Publication Year: 2006

The picture of the book looks like a typical University type book. Plain white cover, small print up top, and college logo on the bottom. Will let ya guys know. Try here, for the book: http://stores.ebay.com/Buys-Internet-Superstore

by CAR_FLOATER

Yeah, I caught this one a few days ago, but........

Kinda looked fishy to me, mostly because of the seller ID.

Their seller rating isn't 100% (I'm a stickler for that, unless I know different), and to boot, they are selling a bunch of other stuff that have NOTHING to do with trains (I've seen their name elsewhere on eBay), though it is mostly books.

I hope that you do NOT get snookered G-A, because it sounds like it could be a good book, if it's legit.

I did a quick Google search for Mr. Lyman, and found that he writes mostly religious books, (DISCLAIMER TO FOLLOW) which, let it be said, that it doesn't mean he can't write a railroad history book, of course.
All I could find though, were links to places selling the book, but no reviews. I find it strange how this one made it under the radar until now, since it was published 2 years ago, and we Valley folk are pretty good at finding anything and everything published on "our" road.

Looking forward to your "book report".......

CF

by EastIthaca

Not "new" by any stretch of the imagination. This looks like an on-demand reprint of an 1873 book digitized by the University of Michigan. You can read it online here (scroll down to the blue links under "contents"):

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/te ... no=AFK3975

by scottychaos

Interesting!
even though we can read the whole thing on-line, I think im going to order a copy from amazon.com anyway..
for $20 it seems like a nice addition to a LV book collection!

and since this is a history of the LV written in 1873, it seems like it will contain a ton of history of the LV's origins!
(I only looked at the first 5 pages or so on-line, so far..)

Scot

by GOLDEN-ARM

I have finished this book, and it's not too bad. The Michigan Historical reprint series seeks to preserve historical copies of books, and makes them available either online, or through printed batches. It's a decent book, about 186 pages. Some illustrations, but lots of good stuff. The reprinting was, unfortunately, not resized, so you get full size pages, with very large margins, clearly showing the original size of the book. Some interesting charts, etchings, timetables, rosters, etc. All in all, not aa bad deal. Hey, it's another Valley book, so it can't be that bad...... :-D

by scottychaos

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I have finished this book, and it's not too bad. The Michigan Historical reprint series seeks to preserve historical copies of books, and makes them available either online, or through printed batches. It's a decent book, about 186 pages. Some illustrations, but lots of good stuff. The reprinting was, unfortunately, not resized, so you get full size pages, with very large margins, clearly showing the original size of the book. Some interesting charts, etchings, timetables, rosters, etc. All in all, not aa bad deal. Hey, it's another Valley book, so it can't be that bad...... :-D
GA,
are you sure your version of the book has roster information?
I just skimmed my copy, and I can find no roster data at all..
(except for a listing of total number of locomotives for specific years..
but nothing more specific than that..)

just wondering if we have slightly different books..

thanks,
Scot

by GOLDEN-ARM

Yeah Scot, we got the same one. The rosters are "equipment" rosters, common to the period, giving classes of cars, and totals on locos, etc. Some good fill in the blanks, for early branchline building, and exact dates of acquisitions, tons of various freight moved, by year, revenue per year, by branch, division or system. Interesting that this period covers the Valley up to the formation of the Amboy & Easton, but the mainline from Phillipsburg to Bound Brook hasn't been completed. Terms of sales/leases for various lines, methods of purchase, etc. Fills in the spaces for those familiar with the Archer book. You got it. :wink: